blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
News about BirdLife Photography.

Poll:Should we have a "Creative Images" gallery?

Yes
62 91.2%
No
6 8.8%
Total number of voters: 68 ( Malcolm Cousland, Tom Tymons, Peter Johnston, Bronwyn Scanlon, Adam S Kraska ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll

TOPIC:

"Creative Images" Gallery - Suggestion and Poll 7 years 11 months ago #533

• Andrew Crouch
  • Thank you received: 2
The very fact that post-processing of bird images is already encouraged (to a degree) suggests that we are already condoning 'creative' images - so why not?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

"Creative Images" Gallery - Suggestion and Poll 7 years 11 months ago #534

• Peter Gower
  • Thank you received: 12
If you are using RAW, post processing is a necessary part of producing an image. It is like developing film. It is always best to try and get everything right in camera, but even if using JPG it may be necessary to lighten or darken, change the contrast or the saturation or the white balance. These are usually accepted.
How far an image is altered is the debatable point. Where is the cut off point. With my own images I aim not to alter the appearance of the bird, aside from the usual lightening/darkening etc. I don't drop in new backgrounds (too much work for me) but may soften the background slightly so that the bird stands out better, or clone out a twig or two. The surrounds though give viewers an idea of the habitat in which the bird is found. Sharpening is another item on the post processing list, but should be subtly done.
I believe there is TOO much emphasis on sharpness and on grain. An image though needs to be sharp enough to show good feather detail where possible. Grain is another thing. By pixel peeping at 100% many images are going to show some grain. If a 20mp image was printed at this magnification, it would be a giant mural suitable for billboard use. At a sensible viewing distance grain will not be seen.
One area I notice that would improve many photos is the lightening of shadows. Raising or lightening shadows to match surrounding bright areas is overdoing it, but showing a little detail instead of having a black blob is desirable.

I don't see any of the above techniques as being out of the ordinary if done subtly.

Last edit: by Peter Gower.

"Creative Images" Gallery - Suggestion and Poll 7 years 11 months ago #537

• Ian Boyd
  • Thank you received: 0
I like the idea as we not only should have a gallery for 'picture perfect' bird images a gallery for the artistic would be complimentary.

"Creative Images" Gallery - Suggestion and Poll 7 years 11 months ago #538

• Peter Gower
  • Thank you received: 12
I should have mentioned previously that I like the idea of a creative gallery. Those who are not in favour of the idea do not have to contribute or even look at the images.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew Browne

"Creative Images" Gallery - Suggestion and Poll 7 years 11 months ago #539

• Andrea Endacott
I agree, it's a great idea.

"Creative Images" Gallery - Suggestion and Poll 7 years 11 months ago #541

• Barbara Oehring
I am all for it. Here is a sample of mine.
Attachments:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.