blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
News about BirdLife Photography.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Direct emailing via the forum 7 years 10 months ago #599

• Les Peters
  • Les Peters's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 49
Greetings, o wise and kindly administrators of this forum,

I was wondering if it's possible to email members directly via the forum? This was a feature of the old forum which I rather liked, because amongst other things it allowed you to sound out a person to see what kind of feedback they would like; and how public they would like it to be. Not to mention ensuring you have understood what the person is thinking of, before you comment.

In my mind's eye, I see (hear?) folks say "Well, it's only a picture, people should be comfortable with any feedback they get". I don't think that's always true. I can recall many justified murmurings of discontent from photographic colleges who entered the ANZANG competition with what should have been an award winning entry (even if this was just their and my opinion), only to find themselves shortlisted. Often the talk is some of the more curious selection decisions too, but we won't go into that here.

Even the most professional photographer can be sensitive about feedback. The point I'm making is that due to the internet nature of our group's interaction, communication can only be by one person at a time, never truly two way. That makes it difficult to judge how a person is taking their feedback. Often folk are simply seeking an affirmation of their work and nothing more. Facebook is full of such sites. Other folk definitely do want constructive feedback and would welcome quite strong criticism, so long as it's handled skillfully..

So the possibility of being able to do some private questioning before giving public comment isn't a bad thing at all. You are far more likely to achieve a good balance between criticism and encouragement that suits the needs of the recipient if you do..

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Direct emailing via the forum 7 years 10 months ago #601

• Rob Parker
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 113
Greetings, Les.

I've just had a delve into the administrator section of the forum module that we're using, and don't see this capability per se. However, if you click on the poster's name, their profile page will open, and their email address is available as a mailto: link. Not as perfect as possible, but pretty easy.

Rob
BirdLife Photography Website Administrator

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.