blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
News about BirdLife Photography.
  • Page:

Poll:What Browser/Operating System Do You Use?

Chrome/Windows
5 20.8%
Chrome/Mac OS
2 8.3%
Firefox/Windows
6 25%
Firefox/Mac OS
2 8.3%
Edge/Windows
2 8.3%
Safari/Mac OS
4 16.7%
Internet Explorer/Windows
2 8.3%
Internet Explorer/Mac OS
1 4.2%
Other
No votes 0%
Total number of voters: 24 ( Varuni Witana, Andrew Rock, Adam S Kraska, Lou Scampoli, Richard Smart ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll

TOPIC:

What Browser/Operating System Do You Use? 6 years 11 months ago #1047

• Rob Parker
  • Rob Parker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 113
We occasionally have users reports problems to us which seem to be browser and/or operating system dependent. To help us solve these issues, we'd like to know what web browser and computer operating system our members use when they log-in to the website.

Please use the Poll section above this message to record your details. You can only vote once, so if you use more than one, please enter the one that you would usually use when you submit an image to our galleries or competitions. You can also reply to this message if you'd like to give us more details than the simple breakdown listed in the poll.

Thanks for you assistance,

Rob
BirdLife Photography Website Administrator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ian Wilson

Please Log in to join the conversation.

What Browser/Operating System Do You Use? 6 years 11 months ago #1048

• Ian Wilson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 495
Hi Rob,
Thanks for looking into this issue. I spent some time today trying to discover why my browser was so slow when logged into BLP. I sometimes leave the room and do something else while waiting for an image to download/upload. One thing I have found is that my Telstra Bigpond ADSL+ service is crap. I am doing further speed test to see how the upload/download speed varies during the day and night.
Thanks,
Ian
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bruce Terrill

What Browser/Operating System Do You Use? 6 years 11 months ago #1049

• Bruce Terrill
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 47
I don't think that it's telstraBigPond ADSL + crap, because I used to use Optus and I got such poor service with BLP going slower than a turtle on a chain, so I switched to Vodaphone just because I knew the service was going to be shite but at least it would be cheaper. I was right, poor old turtle is pulling two chains now. I have logged onto BLP on my son's Android in Townsville and it's always the same, so it's no use blaming the servers, the problems lie 'elsewhere'. . .
Bruce

What Browser/Operating System Do You Use? 6 years 11 months ago #1050

• Glenn Pure
  • Thank you received: 199
Hmmm. Rather than talking in generalities, I think it would be better to measure both the general internet performance if you are having problems and the specific time to load images (for example) on BLP. Here are my results from a few moments ago:

Internet performance:
31 megabits per second download (I am using a fibre optic service available only in the ACT, called Transact but it's now owned by iinet - it was a service run through Canberra quite a few years ago by an ACT Govt business enterprise as an alternative to the Telstra monopoly)
4 megabits per second upload
If you want to test your download and upload speed, I'd recommend this service: speedtest.net but a tip: Click the "GO" button, not the "Start Scan" button (the latter will load another page that tries to get you to download some additional software - probably perfectly legit and useful but still annoying).

BLP performance:
Login: near instantaneous but may take one to two seconds on occasion
Download/open a full size image after clicking on the thumbnail on the 'All Photos' page: this varies considerably from 1 second or less to rarely more than 10 seconds. Typically, an image will load in 2-5 seconds
At the download speeds I regularly get, an image from BLP should open in less than a second. As that typcially does not happen, I'd assume that there is a slow link somewhere between me and the BLP site but that could be anywhere between the site host's server performance and internet connection in the US and me).

If you are getting poor internet download speeds (a megabit or two per second or less, expect BLP and any site which relies on downloading sizeable images to work slowly). Any mobile broadband is likely to perform poorly except for 4G (but that can perform poorly too if a lot of people are using it at the same time).

For info, I'm using Windows 7 64 bit and Firefox browser (kept up-to-date) - but this shouldn't really make much difference.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ian Wilson

What Browser/Operating System Do You Use? 6 years 11 months ago #1051

• Ian Wilson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 495
Thanks Glenn. What I have found using latest Firefox/Windows 10 is that the fastest downloads I get from BLP gallery are about 1 sec from clicking on the thumbnail to full rendering. That tells me the browser/OS are capable of the kind of download speed we expect. However, the worst case I recorded this morning was 95 sec to download and render a BLP gallery image. In the past I have had worse performance and have gone away to make a cup of tea while waiting for downloads and uploads. This erratic performance is very frustrating when one is trying to look at a lot of images on a competition gallery.

I have also been using speedtest.net to test my ADSL2+ typical download/upload speeds and latency between home and various ping servers in the USA. What I have found is that my download speed is typically 5 Mbps and upload is 0.25 Mbps with a latency of 200-350 ms, not very good for anything except basic email. For comparison, my speed to the Telstra Melbourne ping server is typically 6.1 Mbps and 0.4 Mbps with latency 30 ms. I have looked at the Telstra forum and found that there are plenty of cases of people with even worse performance. I am fortifying myself with data before tackling Telstra.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Glenn Pure

What Browser/Operating System Do You Use? 6 years 11 months ago #1058

• Bruce Terrill
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 47
Hi Guys,
I use Windows 7 and as mentioned before i went to get Vodaphone 4 but the girl advised against it for a couple of months because they are far from up to speed with 4 at this stage". . .
The other problem that I have is postings to different threads, just poof, gone, never to be seen again. This is extremely frustrating as some of my postings are extremely lengthy and there's no way in hell that I'm going to try and re write them. Also, it's not the fault of me forgetting to click on the submit button because I also have to click submit on FeathersandPhotos and I have never lost a posting there. One night, just for stupidity, I clicked onto an image in the general image gallery and I then took off my two shoes and two socks, changed the socks onto the opposite foot and then put my shoes back on and the image was only half loaded!
So there is my complaint and not a swear word in sight, so you might pay attention this time?
BTW, the last time that something went missing was a lengthy reply to Ian's report on the announcement of Nikon's D7500 about 15minutes ago. . .
Bruce

:ohmy:
Anyone have a broom handy and I'll just give this a little push under the carpet with the rest of my inquiries. . . .
Bruce

Last edit: by Bruce Terrill. Reason: needed to sweep some rubbish under the carpet
  • Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.