blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
DPITB Geelong was held from 10th to 13th March 2017.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

DPITB Results 6 years 11 months ago #1024

• Bruce Terrill
  • Bruce Terrill's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 47
Hi Guys,
Is there anywhere on any of the forums headings, sub-forums, threads, anywhere, where there is an area for open discussion on what happened at Geelong or is all this info going to be kept inside all the attendee's heads and all of us other folk just gonna get a "Geez it was great, you shoulda been there" ??
Like, what was discussed at the general meeting, what was decided behind the scenes by the committee that we were told before the event that certain issues were going to be discussed at Geelong and the results would be passed on to us? Fair dinkum, this is what completely shits me about this forum, the bloody secrecy at Committee level and the hollow promises that were thrown to us before the event that from now on things are going to be different? As far as can tell, we're off to a very poor start !!!!
Bruce

Please Log in to join the conversation.

DPITB Results 6 years 11 months ago #1026

• Mark Lethlean
  • Thank you received: 12
Hi Bruce,
I haven't met you nor from your attitude have any real desire.
I have just dropped in to have a look at the forum and have read your fairly aggressive post.
Being a BirdLife volunteer coordinator I have been on the receiving end of such emails myself. You need to appreciate that all this work is done by volunteers who each have their own lives. If you are unhappy with the way things are run then nominate yourself for a position where you can be constructive rather than destructive. The volunteers on the committee are not there to serve your particular agenda or needs.
No need to reply
Regards
Mark Lethlean

DPITB Results 6 years 11 months ago #1029

• Peter Gower
  • Thank you received: 12
Hello Bruce,

With your attitude you're not likely to get much more than "Geez it was great, you shoulda been there".
But then it is probably best that you weren't as I'm sure you would have found fault with the way it was run and the information presented.
I agree with Mark, if you don't like the way things are run, then get yourself on the committee, then we can take potshots at you.

Peter.

DPITB Results 6 years 11 months ago #1037

• Glenn Pure
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 199
Hi all
While I personally don't find Bruce's approach helpful or constructive, he raises several questions that I'm happy to answer (I've been away for several weeks so only just catching up now):

1. DPITB content and topics. There are quite a few points to make here. First, there were multiple concurrent sessions so what I and each other person saw was only part of the totality of the presentations. I didn't take notes either. If this had been a professional scientific conference run by paid staff and scientists, there probably would have been published proceedings that could usually be purchased. But that is well beyond what could be expected for an event organised, presented and run on a volunteer basis. So any insights and reports will rely entirely on those attending spending the time to provide such. I have a lot on over coming months and am unlikely to be a contributor in that regard. Anyway, I'd rather spend time out with my camera! So it's over to all attendees for any reports including anyone who wants to write a little piece for the newsletter (hint, hint)! For those presenters who provided written 'paper' versions of their talks, I suspect Rob Parker (our newsletter editor) will be eyeing some of them for possible inclusion in future newsletters. Many of the presentations I saw wouldn't work well as written papers. They were more inspirational pieces about birds and the art of bird photography. Having said that, one possible exception is Georgina Steytler's presentation on bird photography which is encapsulated nicely in here winning Tom Oliver Award entry. I'd encourage all to have a look as it is both inspiring and contains some excellent advice.

2. The Annual General Meeting. This is mainly an opportunity for members to have a say on who is elected to the committee. General business is not normally conducted at AGMs. That was largely true of this AGM although there was some discussion about the renaming of the biannual conference. As for what was covered, minutes would normally be made available to members at some point (at least before the next AGM) although I don't know when that will happen.

3. Committee business and 'secrecy'. There is no conspiracy. Our president Graham Cam endeavors to report this each newsletter. If any member has specific questions that they would like answers to, please feel free to contact me or another committee member. We welcome any feedback and ideas although there is no guarantee we will decide to run with an idea or act on a concern - we need to be careful not to spread our efforts too thinly.

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.