blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
How and where to take great bird pictures.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Calendar nesting bird photo - a bad look 6 years 4 months ago #1490

• Jill Wilson
  • Jill Wilson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 27
I was dismayed recently when I received my copy of Birdlife Australia’s 2018 calendar. The featured photograph for May 2018 is a nesting Square-tailed Kite with a chick !!!

Whatever the merits of the image, the taking of this photograph is clearly contrary to the ethical guidelines of Birdlife Photography which state that

Photographs that are NOT accepted for public viewing in any BirdLife Photography gallery, are those that depict any phase of nesting as defined below, including photos of nests with eggs or chicks, whether a parent bird is present or not.

There is no more ‘public viewing’ than publishing this photo on the 2018 Calendar.

The statement by Birdlife Australia is less prescriptive, saying only

Particular care is required when photographing nesting birds which may abandon the nest as a result of disturbance caused by the erection of hides and other
equipment, by too frequent visits to the nest site or by the sounds and flash of the camera.

The photographer concerned no doubt would assure us that the BL guidelines were adhered to in the taking of the picture. But that is not the point for three reasons.

1. Every bird photographer would like to have shots like this and their publication just encourages others to try for them. Others may not be scrupulous in their care not to disturb the birds or ‘garden’ around the nest.
2. Birdlife Australia should not be promoting photography around nests by publishing such photos, especially in the calendar which it seeks to distribute widely both within and outside its membership.
3. By publishing this image Birdlife Australia is saying it’s OK to take photographs like this.

Shame, Birdlife, shame.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Johnston, Warren Wilson, Bruce Terrill

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Calendar nesting bird photo - a bad look 6 years 4 months ago #1492

• Bruce Terrill
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 47
Hi Jill,

You have my full support in 'calling out' whoever is to blame for allowing this image to be published.
It certainly had to go through a few vetting phases to reach the final cut and I personally am disgusted in its inclusion.
I'm sorry Guys, but you continually announce that you want to be "The Premier" birding site and go-to list for the best bird pictures and you let this fall through the cracks!

Bruce

Calendar nesting bird photo - a bad look 6 years 4 months ago #1493

• Rob Parker
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 113
Hi Bruce,

BirdLife Photography has had nothing to do with the publication of this image - exactly the point Jill made. Did you not notice that she said "Shame, BirdLife, Shame"; she did not say that we were responsible for this. This image would not have been published within our policies! This image was published by BirdLife Australia, not by BirdLife Photography.

I ask you to be a bit more careful before "shooting your mouth off". Details are important.!

Rob
BirdLife Photography Website Administrator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bruce Terrill

Calendar nesting bird photo - a bad look 6 years 4 months ago #1494

• Bruce Terrill
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
My apologies to those concerned and I stand by my disgust at the images being published.
I don't seem to recall mentioning BirdLife Photography anywhere in my statement either?

Bruce

Calendar nesting bird photo - a bad look 6 years 4 months ago #1495

• Rob Parker
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 113
Your last sentence ("... you continually announce that you want to be "The Premier" birding site and go-to list for the best bird pictures and you let this fall through the cracks!") can only be referring to BirdLife Photography.
BirdLife Photography Website Administrator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Johnston

Calendar nesting bird photo - a bad look 6 years 4 months ago #1496

• Bruce Terrill
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Find someone else to kick around your field, I'm retiring as your personal football. . .

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.