blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
How and where to take great bird pictures.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Sherwood Arboretum, Brisbane 8 years 4 months ago #377

• Glenn Pure
  • Glenn Pure's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 199
I get to Brisbane 2 or 3 times a year to visit family and on recent visits, I've been visiting Sherwood Arboretum for bird photography. I've found it very good. A friend of mine is involved in the 'Friends of the Arboretum' and put me on to it.

The Arboretum would only be about 10 or 15 minutes walk from Sherwood railway station in inner west Brisbane. The site is on the Brisbane River and there are several small wetland areas with islands. This is where much of the bird action can be found including both wetland birds and many others. The following is an article by Hugh Possingham et al on birding the Arboretum:

http://www.uq.edu.au/spatialecology/docs/Hughs_Bird_Files/Sherwood_bird_guide_hpp_mg_2012.pdf

And here's his bird list:

http://www.uq.edu.au/spatialecology/docs/Hughs_Bird_Files/Sherwood_bird_guide_hpp_mg_2012.pdf

I'd recommend a visit if you are in Brisbane.

Cheers

Glenn

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Sherwood Arboretum, Brisbane 7 years 3 months ago #827

• Erica Siegel
  • Thank you received: 0
thanks for the info Glenn but I am unable to download either the bird list or the arboretum birding guide. The links simple return me to the original Welcome to page. Can you help?

Last edit: by Erica Siegel. Reason: spelling mistake

Sherwood Arboretum, Brisbane 7 years 3 months ago #828

• Glenn Pure
Hi Erica

The links work for me - sort of.... I get taken to Hugh Possingham's web page at Uni of Qld but the specific links to the Sherwood Arboretum pages have apparently changed since my original post. I was able to locate the new pages:

http://possinghamlab.org/2016-05-10-01-20-13/2016-05-17-06-01-01/sherwood-arboretum-bird-research.html

If the link still doesn't work for you, simply copy the link text and paste it into your browser (where you'd normally type the name of a website).

Cheers
Glenn

Sherwood Arboretum, Brisbane 7 years 3 months ago #829

• Erica Siegel
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks Glen clicking on the link you emailed or pasting it into firefox gets me to the Possingham Lab website, under Research I found the Sherwood and Oxley Creek links .
I get the Oxley Creek .pdf no problem but Sherwood Arboretum links takes me back to the website....no way of getting to either the bird list or the birding guide.
If you have both those documents would you be able to email them to me as an attachment?
I live in the Redlands, east of Brisbane
much appreciated, thank you
ericasiege@iprimus,com.au... having problems validating my email address too...something between BirdLife Photography website and My PC is not working properly
Erica

Sherwood Arboretum, Brisbane 7 years 3 months ago #830

• Glenn Pure
For those interested, it appears the links to Sherwood Arboretum bird info are dead as a result of the author and custodian (Prof Hugh Possingham) moving from the Uni of Qld to take up a job with the Nature Conservancy in Brisbane - there must have been a problem when the site was migrated away from UQ. I've alerted him to the problem and a possible solution suggested but it may take a while to implement.

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.