blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
How and where to take great bird pictures.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Camouflage bag hide 7 years 2 months ago #914

• Doug Castle
  • Doug Castle's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 34
I have been using a tripod with Wimberley head and tripod stool covered with a camouflage bag hide that I purchased from outdoorphotographygear.co.uk. You can see it on their webpage. It is great for sun protection and insect protection ( it is made on insect netting). I think that the birds are fooled by it and come closer than they otherwise would. I am interested in the experience others have had with this type of hide.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Camouflage bag hide 7 years 2 months ago #923

• Les Peters
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 49
I've been using a Kwik Camo cover for about six years now. I bought it when they were half the price they are now, thanks to the Ozzie dollar's drop.

If you are going to use your tripod at a height, it's a useful thing to have. I've had a Restless Fly catcher land on my head while I've been in one; and Balillons Crakes have pottered around my feet, having come in under neath the cover. So obviously they are effective and they are quick to set up.

My problem with them is two fold. You can't use them with your tripod down low. After all, it's the tripod that's making the frame for it and if you set it low, there's no room for you. At beaches, I'll often wrap the cover around my body, instead of a tripod, and lie down on the sand. If you wiggle your feet, it's not unusual for shorebirds to come and have a look at what's happening. They can come very close.

So there's a lot to like. However, a throw up spring framed bird hide isn't much bother to set up either, and you can move about freely in one. They can also be left out for a few days ( or as long as you like), so birds truly ignore them, and you, when you're in side. That's nice if you like natural images of birds being birds. Personally I've no taste for bird photos with fake backgrounds or that have been called up by playback, such as Alan Murphy (http://www.alanmurphyphotography.com/) likes to use, and is now a common feature of many photographer's methods. Always spectacular, but I prefer natural pictures and behavior. The Kuik Camo is one good way to get them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Margaret Murphy

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Les Peters.
  • Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.