blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
News about BirdLife Photography.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Changes to the Current Competition and related matters 8 years 8 months ago #276

• Graham Cam
  • Graham Cam's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 38
The next CC is about to launch and the longer than normal interval between competitions has been due to the hand-over process for the new Competition Co-ordinator, who will introduce themselves shortly. It is no longer possible for me to effectively perform the roles of President, Treasurer and Photo Competition Co-ordinator.

I that know all of you will give the new Photo Competition Co-ordinator the support that you have given to me over the last 12 months.

As the outgoing Photo-Competition Co-ordinator, I introduced the Entry Level category as well as the Mystery Reviewer who judges images according to established national/international standards and provides an in depth critique for the top 5 images. This provides another avenue to our members for assessing their photography. As from the last competition there will now be a clear Winner, Highly Commended (if the score is within 10% of the winning score) and Commended awards given to the top 5 images. Im sure that over time the new Co-ordinator will similarly put there own 'stamp' on the competition portfolio.

The current Committee, as with previous Committees listens to the voices of our members and suggestions are always given due consideration. In recent months there has been a similar suggestion from several members that we consider changing the format of the CC to include a third competition classification.

Hence the CC from this point will trial three categories: ENTRY, INTERMEDIATE and ADVANCED.

The ENTRY category is intended for those who are new to digital photography or are re-engaging with photography and need a period to regain confidence. The time to move to the next category is if you are consistently winning this level of competition or consistently being selected in the 'Commended' images. The interpretation of 'consistently' is over a 12 month period. You may also choose to move to the next category in less than 12 months if you so choose.

The new INTERMEDIATE category is designed to provide confidence for those members emerging from the ENTRY level and those who feel they are not ready to launch into the Advanced category. This will almost certainly be the greater portion of our membership. As with the ENTRY level I would suggest considering moving to the ADVANCED category if you are consistently winning this level of competition or consistently being selected in the 'Highly Commended' images over a 12 month period.

Both the ENTRY and INTERMEDIATE categories will receive evaluation from our Mystery Reviewers as well as a Membership vote.

Now to the new ADVANCED category. I have no idea how many of you will embrace this level and I anticipate that numbers will slowly grow over a period of time. After some discussion within the Committee I have elected at this stage to have only a membership vote. It is not essential to have a critique from a Mystery Reviewer and co-opting a MR at this level is also a larger challenge. It maybe that we could consider critiques form within the entrants to this category. It is a trial and I and the rest of the Committee are open to suggestions from within the membership.

I hope that by implementing 3 competition categories we will encourage even more of our members to contribute to the CC. It is really important that you realise the CC is a forum for improving your photographic skills. I envisage that the CC will also be one forum for engaging our membership in capturing the very best images that are critical to the success of our new ID gallery as well as potentially adding to our new Premier gallery, both of which will commence within days. I encourage all our members to embrace the CC.

On a related matter, there have been one or two comments over the last twelve months regarding the numbers of images submitted to the CC as well as the New Images gallery from within the Committee. I would like to take this opportunity to say that I am aware that I for one have not been active in this endeavour and I would like to explain why. Since joining BLP in 2014 I have been focussed on not just providing an interesting and engaging series of competitions but also on highlighting the very best images from our members to a far wider audience than just BirdLife. This is important in terms of promoting our unique birds and building rank and file support for conservation. To this end I and the Committee, have spent considerable time writing both a Strategic Plan and Operational Plan for BLP, part of which incorporates the new Gallery structure. Whilst you may not see the work that is being undertaken in background, the Committee has commenced the implementation of that plan. On top of this there is the new website which is under construction and this has also taken a consideration portion of the Committee's time, in particular that of Rob Parker. There is also much work being devoted to developing membership surveys 9available soon) so that we can plan for the future and provide our membership with the very best experiences - all of this takes time. Hence, I spend most of my week behind a computer as do other members of the Committee. From my own perspective, since October 2014 I think I have have managed only 3 photoshoots and very little time to process images. This is about to change in the coming months now that much of the foundations for the new gallery structure has been laid in place and thus, I look forward to contributing to both the CC and the New Images gallery and being able to share my passion for birds, bird conservation and bird photography.

So, I take this opportunity to inform the membership that in order to re-charge, I am taking several weeks leave from my duties as from the 2nd August. Our Vice-President and Committee are as always here to assist you. Please keep the Forum conversations moving along during my absence, encourage others to do the same and I will attempt to keep in touch whenever possible.

Kind regards to all

Graham

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Changes to the Current Competition and related matters 8 years 8 months ago #278

• Grace Bryant
  • Thank you received: 0
Within the photography club of which I am a member one of the criteria for moving into 'A' grade is having received three acceptances, medals or awards in National or International competitions. This indicates a high level of skill in their chosen field or photoshop. Nature and Wildlife have strict rules in most competitions and hence a similar criteria might work for members to assess the standard of entry they submit.

Re: Changes to the Current Competition and related matters 8 years 8 months ago #279

• Sonja Ross
  • Thank you received: 1
Have a good break, Graham. Being part of a committee is a demanding, and time consuming, role when development is happening.

Re: Changes to the Current Competition and related matters 8 years 8 months ago #281

• Andrew Browne
  • Thank you received: 26
Hi Graham
I'm currently away up north, tonight at Daly River NT CP but for various reasons tonight have Internet access and a chance to catch up on emails and the Birdlife Photography Forum.
I appreciate all the work the last and present Presidents and Committees do, but have a few comments.
1. I've been amazed in my travels the number of bird photographers I've come in contact with: some I've approached as I've seen them photographing birds and other have approached me because with my new lens (Canon 600mm f4.0 and tripod) I'm pretty obviously a bird photographer. I'm into the 7th week of my trip and still have not crossed paths with one active BLP member. Some are non-active members of BLP, some are Birdlife Australia members and some just don't belong. The former two categories just seem too timid to take the step to become actively involved in submitting photos to BLP or join the group. Obviously I've proactively encouraged them to move forward and on my next trips plan to have an info card to give them.
2. Access to BLP Newsletter, should if the Forum gets a proper foothold, be public access. By this I mean that the Newsletter should be just that...a newsletter....all technical information should be on the members forum and accessible to members only. But this will be dependent upon members using the forum, and given the age profile of members this may/will be slow. The general submission page for the BLP Front Page should be accessible to all, but the other galleries limited to Birpdlife Australia members only.
3. The Current Competition should in my view be Mystery Reviewer only. Personally I respect the independent feedback. I tend to think that BLP members are influenced by multiple other factors not directly related to the inherent qualities of the image.
4. As a relatively new member of BLP, the current technical content of the Newsletter in the past too heavily concentrates on post production ( read photoshopping) of images, and minimal content on birdcraft i.e. Locating, positioning, composing and shooting the bird. I've now been to the last two DPITB workshops and imho over 50% of participants aren't interested in spending large amounts of time at home on the computer enhancing their images despite presenters pushing us in that direction.
The above are not criticisms but my constructive thoughts.
Keep up the great work.Happy holidays.
Cheers AB
Cheers AB

Changes to the Current Competition and related matters 7 years 11 months ago #499

• Kristina Bernard
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi
I hadn't tried the forum yet, so this is fun!
Just a note in response to the newsletter. I very much love the technical post production part of the newsletter and don't believe it should be reduced.
Cheers

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.