blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
News about BirdLife Photography.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Another non-elected essential role: Premier Bird Image Gallery Co-ordinator 7 years 1 month ago #955

• Graham Cam
  • Graham Cam's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 38
Good Morning Members,

Assessing images for transfer to the Premier Bird Image Gallery (PBIG) has stalled completely this year with my entire time being devoted to the success of DPITB, which is now less than two weeks away.

It has stalled because I have not been able to devote time to co-ordinate the efforts of the Working Group (WG) assigned to this gallery and who volunteer their time so generously. Further, I have actively sought members through mail-outs to take on this role as well as personally approaching individuals I felt were suitable for this role. All have declined for various reasons. So I have done as much as I can to keep this important project moving in 2016.

Now that tasks for DPITB are almost complete I have scheduled the next species to be assessed for PBIG and work is scheduled to re-commence after DPITB. However, I will not continue as the co-ordinator in 2017 and therfore BLP needs your assistance.

We need someone to take on this role. It does not matter that your photos will be assessed for PBIG as you have no role in that process – assessment is the role of the assigned Working Group.

The role of the co-ordinator is to sequentially work through the checklist assigning 10 species at a time to be assessed in each mail-out to the WG. A completion date is assigned to the task and from time to time you may need to follow-up with WG as to how the task set is progressing. [The responsibility of the WG is to complete the task on time and if they are traveling and unable to undertake the task in the window set by you it is their responsibility to contact you and arrange a subsequent date for completion]. Once you have 3 spreadsheets returned with the image IDs you then compile the IDs into a single spreadsheet (3 columns – one for the IDs that all 3 WG members selected; one for IDs selected by 2 WG members and the remaining column for the ‘individual’ IDs.) The compiled list is then sent to Rob Parker, who takes charge of the rest of the process.
By working through 10 species at a time it is a manageable task that might at most take an hour or two of your time for each mailout. When these 10 species are completed the process recommences and we slowly work through the checklist and digital library. The process is one that continues over time to consider new images submitted to the digital library. However, your contribution can be one of 6 months but preferably twelve months and travelling is not an issue – you assign the tasks around the dates that fit with your travel plans – as it does for the current WG members.

I look forward to expressions of interest and please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to know more.

Graham
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bruce Terrill

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Rob Parker. Reason: typos
  • Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.