blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
General discussion areas.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

How to best digitise Kodachrome slides. 6 years 11 months ago #1099

• Bruce Robertson
  • Bruce Robertson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I am looking for advice please on the best equipment and software to scan and digitise about 500 boxes of Kodachrome slides. I am also interested in any tips/tricks that you have for things like correcting for colours that have faded over time etc. etc.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

How to best digitise Kodachrome slides. 6 years 11 months ago #1104

• Rob Parker
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 113
Hi Bruce. A couple of quick comments, while I'm away from home, and more to follow when I get back in about a week's time. I have a Canon ??? scanner which I bought some years ago, which seems to do OK at this - but I haven't really tested it exhaustively. There's a couple of important points about it:
- it is a high-resolution scanner, which you'll need if you want something from the scanner that's going to give acceptable print quality output. You can do the sums to work out what you need - but 1200dpi scanning probably isn't going to give you an image that's much better than acceptable website resolution; since your original is only about 1 inch in smallest dimension, a 1200dpi scanner will only give you an image of (about) 1800 x 1200. Lots of the multi-purpose printers available these days include scanners, but you should check the specs for this carefully if you're wanting acceptable results from slide scanning.
- it has special holders for slides (and a couple of roll-film formats) that keep them aligned correctly. Without this, you run the risk of slides moving as you close the scanner lid, which will then require you to rotate the resultant scanned images to restore them to the correct orientation.

Several years ago, a couple of volunteers scanned a selection of slides from the old BOCA slide collection. Subsequent examination of these reveals that there are colour problems with most of them; we've not yet had any resources to devote to checking this and correcting them. My opinion is that it's highly likely that you'll need to do this with any old source material (I've had to do so with scanned old photo prints); the correction is likelt to be the same for all, so image processing software that allows you to do batch processing - applying the same "recipe" to lots of images - will be something that you'll need.

Rob
BirdLife Photography Website Administrator

How to best digitise Kodachrome slides. 6 years 11 months ago #1106

• Bruce Robertson
  • Bruce Robertson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
The reason why I made this post is that a few years ago, I had about 200 slides to digitise. Most places quoted me $3 per slide. I managed to negotiate a better deal with someone I knew but the colour was "sub-optimal". I went to a retail outlet last week and they recommended: QPIX Photo Standalone Film and Print Scanner $139.00 To be fair, they let me take it home for a trial. I returned it 2 days later and received a full refund. Other products in their catalogue are: QPIX Film Scanner FS-01 $68.88; QPIX Negative Slide Converter $143.00; and Epson Perfection Photo Scanner V800 $999.00 The best alternative that I have come across is: CanoScan 9000F Mark II $349.00. It is rated as: 9600 x 9600 dpi professional film, photo, slide and document scanner with a scan speed of 7 seconds. Does anyone have any experience with any of these products please?

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.