blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
General discussion areas.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Advise please on how to photograph fish in a fish tank. 6 years 9 months ago #1211

• Bruce Robertson
  • Bruce Robertson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I am trying to get my head around how to photograph fish in a fish tank. I have put my 40mm f2.8 Macro lens on my Canon EOS 5D MkII and tried a few methods but without real success. I tried putting the hood of the lens against the glass but couldn't check my focusing. I tried holding the camera 10-15 cm away from the glass and focusing on one target fish and basically "pot luck" because they move quickly. I obviously cannot use flash. Any ideas, suggestions, tips or advice would be much appreciated. Bruce.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Advise please on how to photograph fish in a fish tank. 6 years 9 months ago #1217

• Les Peters
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 49
Hi Bruce,

You do use a flash, but you must use it off camera. Keep the camera at right angles to the glass, and fire the flash from either directly above the aquarium or at 45 degrees to the glass surface.

To lessen the chance of reflections, use a polarizer if you have one.

The camera will generally focus without much bother, but be aware of your depth of field limitations. I tend to use a prime of around 100mm lens for the job, but there's no reason why you couldn't use a wider angle.

You can PM me for some examples of the results, if you like.

Cheers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bruce Robertson

Last edit: by Les Peters.

Advise please on how to photograph fish in a fish tank. 6 years 9 months ago #1228

• Bruce Robertson
Hi Les,
Thanks for this. I will give it a try. Fingers crossed.
Bruce.

Advise please on how to photograph fish in a fish tank. 6 years 9 months ago #1233

• Les Peters
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
You should end up with something like these Ram pictures... One with the flash above, the other one in front.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bruce Robertson

Last edit: by Les Peters.

Advise please on how to photograph fish in a fish tank. 6 years 9 months ago #1234

• Bruce Robertson
These are WOW photos. Thank you for sharing these. A picture tells a thousand words.

Advise please on how to photograph fish in a fish tank. 6 years 9 months ago #1235

• Les Peters
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Good luck with it Bruce.
One last piece of advice that may be useful. If your camera has a hard time getting a focus on the fish, just move your camera back and forth to get the focus instead. This is easier than trying to use the focus ring on the lens. Hope this idea makes sense! :-)

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.