blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
General discussion areas.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Auto ISO - is it useful? 6 years 3 months ago #1517

• Ian Wilson
  • Ian Wilson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 496
I recently had some correspondence with a member about the use of Auto ISO in bird photography, especially for birds in flight. I was surprised that he assumed that when I post an image and provide exposure information in the Equipment Field such as 'Manual, spot metering, AI Servo AF with 4-pt expansion, f/7.1, 1/3200 sec, ISO 400' that I must be using Auto ISO. This is not the case, these days I never use Auto ISO except to demonstrate that it gives inconsistent exposure results that are no better than using the other semi-automatic shooting modes, aperture priority or shutter priority. I am sorry if any other members have been misled in this regard. The reason why Auto ISO is not recommended is because the metering varies depending upon the size of the bird in the frame and the tracking error. If the bird is small in the frame, a significant amount of the light used for metering the exposure will come from the background. If it is a light bird on a dark background, this will cause over-exposure of the bird, not to mention over-exposure of the bird if the metering wanders off onto the dark background. The converse is a dark bird on a light background and the same kind of exposure issues are the result. If the bird is big in the frame and dominates the exposure metering, it is likely that the bird will be underexposed. To get correct exposure in these situations, one needs to manually apply some exposure compensation. This is a kind of dog chasing its tail situation.

The correct way to shoot with manual exposure adjustment is to set the aperture (depth of field) and exposure time (to avoid movement blur) to suit the job at hand. Then manually adjust the ISO for correct exposure. I usually use spot metering and move the metering spot over the bird to the lightest part and adjust the ISO for correct exposure with reference to the camera's exposure meter visible in the viewfinder. For birds in flight I still use spot metering but set the correct exposure by metering off a target in the environment that has a similar tonal range to the bird I am expecting to fly past. For example, if I am on a pelagic trip, I usually meter off the first white bird that lands near the boat. Alternatively, I guess the required ISO and take a test shot of the first white bird that flies past. It does not take long to get the optimum exposure with the 'blinkies' just starting to show on the brightest white parts of the bird. With a little experience, one can accurately guess the right ISO for sunny and overcast conditions. If the ambient light changes during the session then one will need to make an ISO adjustment for the changing conditions but this is not a big deal. The advantage of full manual control of the exposure is that once set, and provided the ambient light does not change much, any white bird that flies past will be recorded with proper exposure irrespective of the distance to the bird, the size of the bird in the frame, and tracking errors. This is a much better way of getting proper exposure for flying birds than using Auto ISO.

I hope this clears up any misunderstandings regarding my use of manual shooting mode.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lindsay Cooke, Kathy Zonnevylle, Bruce Terrill, Catherine Noone

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Auto ISO - is it useful? 6 years 3 months ago #1518

• Desmond Hokin
  • Thank you received: 11
Thanks for clarifying our technique Ian, your advice is always appreciated .

I think I recall from a previous post you mentioning you no longer use back button focus. Could you confirm?

I myself was not using back button focus until last 6 months or so, and have found it to be super helpful. This brings me to my question - is there any button configuration on the 5d4 that is practical for both bbf and for manually adjusting ISO? Seems it's one or the other.

Or maybe I've misunderstood how frequently you're adjusting ISO between shots?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ian Wilson

Auto ISO - is it useful? 6 years 3 months ago #1519

• Ian Wilson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hello Desmond,

Thanks for your interest in this thread. Yes, I can confirm that I do not use back button focus because I want my thumb on the Quick Control Dial on the back of the camera to adjust the ISO. I use Custom Controls to assign ISO adjustment to the Quick Control Dial. I want to be able to dial the ISO up or down while composing a shot of a standing bird or fine tune the ISO up or down while tracking a flying bird. If I have set up for a white bird, there will be no need to make any ISO adjustment but if a dark bird happens to fly past I want to be able to immediately crank the ISO up a few notches. It is still possible to set up for back button focus and use the Quick Control Dial but you will need to move your thumb between the back button for focus and the Quick Control Dial for ISO adjustment. I do not have experience with the 5DIV but I am aware that it has many more options for assigning custom controls than earlier generations of camera so I would be surprised if there is not a convenient way of using back button focus and fine tuning the ISO. Perhaps one of our 5DIV owners will be able to give us some advice. Regarding your final question, I am manually adjusting the ISO on just about every standing bird I photograph. For birds in flight, I usually only adjust the ISO if I notice the ambient light has changed such as when a cloud passes in front of the sun, in that case I will need to crank up the ISO about 5x, for example, from ISO 400 to about 5 x 400 = ISO 2000. Hope this helps.

Cheers, Ian
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bruce Terrill

Auto ISO - is it useful? 6 years 3 months ago #1521

• Bruce Terrill
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 47
Everything that I thought that I knew about Bird Photography amounted to nothing really.
Ian has taken the time, on so many occasions and in so many different ways, to help me become the photographer that I am today.
For that, I will remain forever grateful and truly a better person as a result of his friendship and knowledge. . .
Thank-you Ian. . .

Auto ISO - is it useful? 6 years 3 months ago #1522

• Ian Wilson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
No need to thank me Bruce, it is a pleasure to help any members who asks questions on the Forum or via Contact the Photographer personal email.

Auto ISO - is it useful? 6 years 3 months ago #1524

• Chris Dubar
  • Thank you received: 9
Hi Desmond/Ian,
I used to use back button focus and auto ISO until I tried the method used by Ian and was an instant convert to using manual exposure and assigning the quick control dial to adjust ISO directly. Before I changed my method I looked at ways of configuring my 5D MkIV to allow using back button focus and adjusting the ISO without taking your thumb off the bbf button but couldn't see a way of doing it. You can assign the Set button or the AF area selection button to adjust ISO by holding the button down and adjusting the ISO using the Main Control Dial with your forefinger but that of course means taking your thumb off the bbf button which is something you don't really want to do with BIF photography most of the time. The only situation I see where you want to start/stop autofocus is where a perched bird may be moving in and out from behind vegetation and you don't want the focus distance changing suddenly. My opinion is that if you start using manual exposure then there is no advantage in using the bbf button to start/stop autofocus as you can do that with the shutter button anyway. You lose the metering of course when taking your finger off the shutter button but if you have already set the exposure manually then it doesn't matter and comes back when you start autofocus again. I think back button focus is more useful for static subjects (not bird photography) where you might want to focus on a particular part of an image and reframe. I would be interested in others thoughts
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lindsay Cooke, Ian Wilson, Catherine Noone

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.