blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
Discussions about cameras, lenses, accessories, and image-processing.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re: Help request on Nikon NEF RAW processing 8 years 6 months ago #327

• Warren Wilson
  • Warren Wilson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 9
Les,

Thank you for that. Tried all of the 'shot discipline' techniques to suggest. I suspect the combination of a 'heavy' metal shutter and 36 mg sensor = shutter shock and really no way around this except the replacement option. I think Canon's new 50mg weapon has a cloth (lighter?) shutter.... wonder how it goes.

Again thanks,

Warren

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Help request on Nikon NEF RAW processing 8 years 6 months ago #328

• Ian Wilson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 496
Hi Warren,

I don't know what kind of shutter curtain is used in the new Canon 5Ds but I can tell you that they claim a new kind of shutter motor/drive significantly reduces 'shutter shock'. One can test this using the ISO 12233 Electronic Still Camera Resolution Test Chart. Most of the vibration load from the mirror and shutter movement is in the vertical plane and adversely impacts on the resolution of fine-spaced horizontal line detail. I have tested the 5Ds using the test chart and find no noticeable difference in the resolution of horizontal and vertical finely-spaced lines. In other words, as far as I can tell, shutter shock is not an issue with the 5Ds. In contrast, I could see a difference in some situations with the 5DIII model. I expect Canon have learned from Nikon's experience with the D800 series.

As a general comment, when the resolution of fine detail in the horizontal and vertical direction are not the same, the effect is like astigmatism with a compromised best focus. The image will appear a wee bit 'soft'.

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Ian

Re: Help request on Nikon NEF RAW processing 8 years 6 months ago #329

• Warren Wilson
  • Away
Ian,

Thank you. I have no idea how to do this testing, however if it where not too inconvenient, I'd love you to run my D800 through it's paces when next I see you. I'd gladly publish the results on this site for those interested. As an aside, the planets occasionally do align and I pull off a super sharp, and I mean sharp, :o image so its certainly capable when it wants to be. I'd just love the planets to align a little more often! Looking forward to seeing you and Jill soon and thanks again.

Warren

Re: Help request on Nikon NEF RAW processing 8 years 6 months ago #337

• Les Peters
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 49
I gather you have had no problems with the 12 meg D300, but do have with the D800 with its 36 meg. Personally, I doubt 50 megs is going to be easier to photograph with, regardless of what shutter is involved, and would expect quite the opposite affect. I hope this doesn't prove the case for you.

Have you thought of borrowing a mirrorless 42 meg camera like the Sony Alpha a7R II to test this? It has 5 axis stablisation, which give some improvement in image stability, but you can turn that off. Just a thought.

Re: Help request on Nikon NEF RAW processing 8 years 6 months ago #338

• Warren Wilson
  • Away
Les,

Thanks for that. I have never had any problem getting first class results from my D300. I've carefully employed 'worlds best practice' to all aspects of shooting discipline with the D800 but have generally come away disappointed, particularly from a camera of that caliber. I may be barking up the wrong tree, however I've long suspected the D800 readily shows up 'shutter shock' or vibration.... given it is the first of the very high megapixel cameras. This issue is only ever spoken about in hushed tones, however Nikon suddenly release a D810 (not a D800s) with little fan-fare. Among other things, I read it has a newly designed, much improved shutter mechanism which at least gives off a less angry sound. Everyone knows how Nikon eventually addressed the faulty D600 shutter. It was simply replaced in the line-up by the D610.... with a re-designed shutter mechanism.

So I've decided to go with the flow. The Minister for Finance today approved the purchase of a new Nikon D810 :). I'll eat humble pie if necessary as I'll inform this forum if the problem stays and I'm the bad tradesman blaming his tools :-[ - or the issue goes away. 8)

Les.... thanks for bearing with me on this one.... watch this space.

Re: Help request on Nikon NEF RAW processing 8 years 2 months ago #426

• Bob Young
  • Thank you received: 8
Warren,
If you are still having problems with the D800 , you may need to fine tune the Auto Focus. My D800 was consistently focusing slightly behind the intended focus point and since fine tuning the AF, I have had much sharper images. Google "Dot tune : Auto focus fine tuning".
I used this method on my own D800 and also a friend's, with excellent results.
From internet reports, I get the feeling that most D800s need some AF fine tuning.

Good luck, Bob

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.