blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
Discussions about cameras, lenses, accessories, and image-processing.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Lightroom 6 Tutorials 8 years 5 months ago #324

• Andrew Browne
  • Andrew Browne's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 26
OK I'm ready to bite the bullet and take the next step in my bird photography....post camera production. I'm already a Lightroom 5 user but basically the Library Module only. I'm in the process of upgrading to Lightroom 6 and am looking for recommendations on the best resource to learn the LR 6 Develop Module in a systematic approach. Any suggestions? Cheers Andrew
Cheers AB

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Lightroom 6 Tutorials 8 years 5 months ago #325

• Lindsay Cooke
  • Thank you received: 6
HI Andrew, Adobe posted 60 video tutorials on LR6 on you tube link https://www.youtube.com/user/AdobeLightroom/videos and Julieanne Kost has a site with tuts at http://www.jkost.com/lightroom.html

I suspect they will cover the same ground if indeed they are not the same tutorials. In most respects though they will be helpful in revealing what the new features are and how to use them.

Generally if you want some specific information on an aspect of LR itb will be online somewhere by somebody, so a search engine will bring up a range of hits. For example I searched "how to sharpen photos in lightroom 6" and came up with a large number of tuts from varied sites on how to achieve this, www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkrYXOszvf was possibly the better result. Most of the tuts are free but some people derive income from selling on line packages.

Good luck Lindsay

Re: Lightroom 6 Tutorials 8 years 5 months ago #326

• Andrew Browne
Thanks Lindsay
But my viewing and take on both these sites is that they are tutorials on individual topics rather than following a structured logical flow thru the Develop Module. I'm looking for access to a program step by step......fits with my B&W outlook on everything. Cheers Andrew
Cheers AB

Re: Lightroom 6 Tutorials 8 years 5 months ago #343

• Glenn Pure
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 199
Hi Andrew

At risk of throwing a spanner in the works, you may want to think about another software option. LR is unable to convert Canon RAW files to jpgs etc nearly as well as the freeware Canon Digital Photo Professional software that comes with your camera (hint: you should upgrade to the latest version which is 4.3.31 via Canon website). If you want the best out of your gear, use Canon DPP. BLP member Ian Wilson tells me many top bird photographers around the world prefer DPP to handle their RAW images.

A key clincher for me is Digital Lens Optimiser which is one of the tools in DPP. It will remove a number of defects including loss of sharpness that are introduced into your image from lens and camera design compromises, and it does it very well using proprietary lens data supplied by Canon (that you have to download via DPP for each of your lenses). If you want to see what Digital Lens Optimiser in DPP can do, I've included a shot of an Eastern Rosella. It's not the best shot and is not completely sharp but you can perhaps see more clearly what DPP can do by looking at a less than perfect image. The panel on the left has had DPP applied and the one on the right has not. All other settings in DPP were identical. You can still export a TIFF of JPG from DPP and further process in Lightroom or Photoshop (which you'll have access to if you buy the creative cloud subscription), to finish processing.

Cheers

Glenn

PS, I'm working on an article for the BLP newsletter (probably Dec issue, subject to the editor's discretion) on basic workflows that will include a DPP processing option at the front end.

Attachments:

Last edit: by Rob Parker.

Re: Lightroom 6 Tutorials 8 years 5 months ago #344

• Glenn Pure
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 199
Oh, I should have mentioned the images I posted were a 1:1 crop (ie, each pixel in the posted image is a pixel in the original capture) from a much larger image, attached to this post for reference.

Cheers

Glenn

Attachments:

Last edit: by Rob Parker.

Re: Lightroom 6 Tutorials 8 years 4 months ago #355

• Andrew Browne
Thanks Glenn
Firstly apologies for not acknowledging your post for me on October 17th. I've just come home from two weeks sailing Couta Boats in Sydney and Pittwater in a series of wooden boat regattas and not been checking this site: in fact I went over two weeks not picking up the camera! Remedied that yesterday with a three hour beach walk.
Secondly, I'm aware of Ian's liking for Canon DPP as the starting point for image processing and happy to see that you also share this preference.
That's great that your in the process of writing an article with basic workflows incl DPP, I'll keenly await it's publication in December or earlier if it's permissible to share it? (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.)
I haven't started on my post image processing learning yet because I have wanted to have an overall game plan rather than going off in an unplanned manner.
Thanks again, Cheers
Andrew
Cheers AB

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.