blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
Discussions about cameras, lenses, accessories, and image-processing.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re: Lightroom 6 Tutorials 8 years 5 months ago #356

• Andrew Browne
  • Andrew Browne's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 26
Hi again Glenn
Thanks for your advice
I've now uploaded DPP4 4.3.31, and looking to transfer some of my images from Lightroom as I uploaded them directly from my camera/compact flash cards to Lightroom, (and obviously didn't upload them initially onto a seperate computer file before taking them into Lightroom.) When they were imported to Lightroom the RAW files were converted to DNG, and now when I ask Lightroom to export them as Originals so I can take them into DPP4, they appear as DNG files rather than the original RAW files. Is this going to be a problem, and do I loose data/etc because of this file format change?
Hope this makes sense, and as you can tell I'm not really totally into this whole technical issue........but it's a work in progress....I hope!
Cheers
Andrew
Cheers AB

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Lightroom 6 Tutorials 8 years 5 months ago #357

• Glenn Pure
  • Thank you received: 203
Hi Andrew

As I'm not a regular Lightroom user (only had it for a month on trial licence), I can't answer your question in detail - specifically if you can get your Canon RAW file back from the Adobe DNG. Some quick online searching didn't show up anything useful. So I'll leave it to others more expert on this to respond specifically on this point.

If you are unable to convert back to, or recover Canon RAW (CR2), I'm fairly sure you'll be unable to use DPP at all. Sorry I can't be of more help but please let us all know how you go.

Cheers
Glenn

Re: Lightroom 6 Tutorials 8 years 5 months ago #359

• Andrew Browne
Thanks Glenn, i'll see what I can find. I've just downloaded the Morris/Hazeghi ebook on DPP4, and have some new images to download from my camera to play with. Cheers Andrew
Cheers AB

Re: Lightroom 6 Tutorials 8 years 5 months ago #361

• Ian Wilson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 496
Hi Andrew,

John Stirling is the BLP Melbourne expert on LR and I forwarded your query to him. He is not registered for this Forum but gave me permission to copy his reply below, hope this is helpful. Regards, Ian.

If Andrew has reformatted his card, then his CR2 images are gone because, as he said, they were converted by Lightroom to DNG files when they were read from the card and stored on his computer. DNG files are a type of RAW file, but they will have lost all of the Canon proprietary stuff that the CR2 file would have contained.

When you import files into Lightroom you have the choice to convert them into DNG format. On the right side of the Import Page there is an "Advanced" heading under which there are several options next to check boxes. If Andrew had not checked the box next to "Convert to DNG" his files would have been imported as CR2s. I've never known that box to be ticked by default.

Re: Lightroom 6 Tutorials 8 years 5 months ago #363

• Andrew Browne
Thanks Ian (and John)
Yes after further investigation and followed by your latest comment, I now realise that CR2 images I imported into Lightroom with the 'Convert to DNG' box ticked cannot be converted back to RAW files to retrospectively reprocess through DPP4. I'll give DPP4 a try with fresh images.
In my ignorance, last year I followed the directions in a Laura Shoe video on Lightroom 5 where the advice was to tick the box. At that time and up to now, I've mostly used Lightroom to review, rate and catalogue my images before cropping, making some very basic adjustments and exporting them as JPEGs to use to post online etc. I like the Lightroom approach to cataloguing images but after various comments, including yours, am looking at DPP4 for processing of the images.
I'm getting good advice and doing a fair amount of reading in an effort to process how I want to proceed at this stage of my bird photography journey. Everyone has a different take on it, with their own preferences.
Currently I'm importing RAW images into DPP4 and feeling my way around, similar...... but different to Lightroom. My aim is to develop my own flow chart and see how things go, but not sure how long this will take.
Thanks again for your advice.
I'm heading back to Inala Bruny Is in two weeks and looking for more and improved Pardalote images and hopefully some Swift Parrot ones.
As always I'm enjoying your, Jill's and John's images on the BLP website.
Cheers
Andrew
Cheers AB

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.