blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
Discussions about cameras, lenses, accessories, and image-processing.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Changing Photos to create a better image 8 years 3 weeks ago #474

• Glenn Pure
  • Thank you received: 199
A few things are worth thinking about here, in my view.

Specifically on this issue, ANZANG does allow 'interpretive' images in a special category for same. And a BLP member got into the final selection for that category in the 2015 comp with a very fine manipulated bird photo.

More generally, I'd be more comfortable if the committee erred on the side of caution before codifying too many rules and regulations about this - or anything else for that matter. Unless there is a compelling reason to constrain the membership, I think members should be assumed to be responsible and capable of making informed choices about what they photograph and post and how they treat their images. In some cases, the committee has set rules, eg recently on nesting birds. There is clearly a wider issue here of bird protection but even so, I can think of cases where the nesting bird policy could be contravened with an image that is close to zero risk for a bird. An example would be a bird nesting on an electrical transmission tower or mobile phone tower where it would be impossible to get close enough to disturb the bird and probably illegal as well. A photo of a nest in such a situation would still contravene the policy. Being a little less strict by providing 'outs' or exceptions would be helpful where it is found necessary to make rules, and guidelines are always preferable.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Changing Photos to create a better image 7 years 11 months ago #503

• Kristina Bernard
  • Thank you received: 1
It doesn't seem like we get too many images that could be called too over processed to the point of being interpretive - artistic type, but if we did then a separate gallery would make sense.
I also think getting really strict about sometime like the ANZANG guidelines might discourage people and have less people entering. I don't see anything wrong with removal of a twig and other similar small alterations, so long as it's not over the top.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Georgina Steytler

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.