blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
General discussion areas.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Introducing myself 6 years 1 month ago #1594

• Shane Baker
  • Shane Baker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
Greetings all

I've just joined, and I'm really a novice in bird photography, although I've been messing around with cameras from back when I bought my first: a Nikormat Ftn. I've recently acquired the new Nikon D850 and I'm learning how to use it with my 200 - 500 f/5.6.

What I don't know about birding would fill a library - but I'm trying!
Shane Baker

The following user(s) said Thank You: Ian Wilson, Rodney Appleby

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Shane Baker.

Introducing myself 6 years 1 month ago #1595

• Andrew Browne
  • Thank you received: 26
Welcome Shane. I don't know a lot about Nikon cameras yet but I do know that one of the big name bird photographers, Arthur Morris, in the states has just changed from Canon to Nikon (in fact has sold all his Canon gear). His blog "Birds As Art" talks about his experiences with the D850, his camera of choice at present.
Cheers Andrew Browne, Vic.
Cheers AB

Introducing myself 6 years 1 month ago #1596

• Shane Baker
Thanks Andrew.

I'll check Mr Morris out.
Shane Baker

Introducing myself 6 years 1 month ago #1597

• Shane Baker
Thanks Andrew.

I'll check Mr Morris out.
Shane Baker

Introducing myself 6 years 1 month ago #1598

• Ian Wilson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 496
Hi Shane. Welcome to BLP, I hope you enjoy your membership. If you need help with any aspect of bird photography you will be able to get plenty of advice here on the Forum or on the Critique Gallery. The BLP Newsletters contain a wealth of information and you can find back-issues under the Resources tab in Libraries and Documents. Looks like you have some good gear so no problems in that regard, it is now down to you. I look forward to seeing some of your work.

Best wishes, Ian

Introducing myself 6 years 1 month ago #1599

• Peter Johnston
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 38
Hi Shane
Welcome aboard.
You are correct on 2 accounts.
Firstly. Knowledge of birds (and bird photography) will fill a library.
Secondly. Yes. The owl is a Southern Boobook (After clicking on the photo link in your profile).
I strongly recommend that you follow Ian's advice to access the photography information in the newsletters. This will really really help to get the best out of the wonderful equipment that you have.
Who knows. Requests of images for education and research are common place, maybe for books, apps or presentations. Anyone may have a photo selected.
Best of luck, over there on the west coast, Peter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shane Baker

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.