blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
General discussion areas.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

New to the website. 7 years 6 months ago #741

• Gordon Grieve
  • Gordon Grieve's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello folks, Gordon Grieve. I have recently joined the group and currently trying to become familiar with the website so please forgive me if this has landed in the wrong section.

I have been a keen student of birds for well over 65 years and recently upgraded my camera. This is a Panasonic LUMIX 20-1200. I know this is quite low on the scale of what is regarded as a great camera, but I feel it is working well for me.

I have quite a collection of shots and some I would be interested in showing. Problem is they were not taken in RAW and cropping and processing has been carried out in Photoshop Express. I have been advised that there is no EXIF attached does this mean I need to start afresh or can I submit a few shots.

I would love to have the time to travel all those places and (do it all again) but, how could I tell my wife.

Please note all my shots are taken in RAW from now on and that is a challenge to learn also, but I enjoy a challenge.

Regards to all,
Gordon.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

New to the website. 7 years 6 months ago #745

• Ian Wilson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 496
Hi Gordon,
Welcome to BLP. Not having the EXIF data attached to your image files is not a serious issue in my opinion as long as you can manually enter the date, place and camera settings in the appropriate fields of the upload page. If you mean that you are unable to provide minimal/no information on date, place and camera settings, then that is more serious; such images are of little value. The only exception I can think of is an image of a species not represented in the gallery or one that has outstanding merit either technical, aesthetic or scientific.

If it helps, my own practice is to first look at what is on the gallery and then decide whether my picture is worth uploading. Generally, I find there are better pictures already on the gallery and I decide not to burden the catalogue with another picture that contributes nothing new. However, if I think my picture is technically better, shows some kind of interesting behaviour, a different sub-species, different plumage or plumage detail, shows ID marks particularly well etc I usually decide to submit my picture.

Best wishes, Ian.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon Grieve

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.