blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
General discussion areas.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Remaining unseen - camo and UV 6 years 1 month ago #1625

• Shane Baker
  • Shane Baker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
Greetings all. A few weeks back, I tagged along on a bird walk and noted that a few seasoned photographers used camo on their lenses - and indeed, some were wearing camo clothing. The consensus seemed to be that the birds were less likely to notice such coverings.

I was trolling around the web about this and noted a very few comments about UV. I've known birds see into UV for a while, but I never thought about brighteners in detergents and being "bright" to birds.

Any thoughts from the experienced on these points? It seems camo and detergent free of brighteners might make my efforts a little more successful??

Regards
Shane Baker

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Rob Parker.

Remaining unseen - camo and UV 6 years 1 month ago #1626

• Ian Wilson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 496
Hello Shane,
I am one who has fallen for the idea that some camo helps and I have camo pattern Lenscoat neoprene on my big white lenses and I often wear some camo clothing ranging from shirt, trousers, hat and balaclava if I am working close to lyrebirds to no camo in some other situations. There is a lot of evidence that many bird species are blue sensitive so I always avoid wearing blue clothing and try to discourage others from wearing blue.

Be aware that members of the public may be alarmed if you suddenly appear in full camo. I had this experience last winter when two walkers spotted me in Sherbrooke Forest and telephoned the police reporting a suspicious looking character carrying a 'weapon'. It was a wet day and I went home early before the police arrived but I learned about it the next morning when I was again in the forest in full camo and ran into a member of the Sherbrooke Lyrebird Survey Group who told me all about the drama. I telephoned the local police to 'fess' up and fortunately they were more amused than concerned. I am now careful not to put my camo balaclava on until off track where I am unlikely to be seen by members of the public.
Cheers, Ian
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Newell, Bruce Terrill

Remaining unseen - camo and UV 6 years 1 month ago #1627

• Shane Baker
Thanks Ian.

I must confess that camo has a certain ... image in my mind regarding some people who wear it and I'm not that keen on wearing it for that reason.

I take your point about the blue end of the spectrum and I'm guessing that red would also stand out - especially for nectar feeders. I guess WWII "jungle green" might be a compromise! :)

Regards, Shane
Shane Baker

Remaining unseen - camo and UV 6 years 1 month ago #1628

• Bruce Terrill
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 47
Hi Shane,
I regularly wear camo clothing and have a lot to chose from, I'm even the Australian Ambassador for Go Wild Camo from The States (great gear, but way too expensive).
I have, on more than a couple of occasions, been reported to Police and they DON'T see the funny side of things from my experience, at least up this way!
I only wear it 'out bush' because I have found that the birds in and about the city limits aren't too worried about people coming and going, unless you get too close.
As for your 'Jungle Greens', I think that you need a disruptive pattern to break up your outline, so that you blend in instead of being one big 'block of color'.
For or against, I'm definitely 'for'.
Oh BTW, the Go Wild Camo mob goes right into the color spectrum and detergents to use, sides of things. Their clothing is mainly for hunting Big Game with rifle and bow. . .
HTH,
Bruce

Last edit: by Bruce Terrill. Reason: extra info

Remaining unseen - camo and UV 6 years 1 month ago #1629

• Shane Baker
Thanks Bruce.
Shane Baker

Remaining unseen - camo and UV 6 years 1 month ago #1631

• Peter Johnston
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 38
Hi Shane
I have gone away from the army camo shirt, to throwing a camo net over myself, with a hole cut out to poke the lens thru.
I also have a Lencoat neoprene lens cover for my 400mm zoom.
I find the net is a cooler option for summer and more breathable.
My strategy is to find a prime site, hide under the camo and the birds will go about their usual business. Can be tough on the legs after a couple of hours, on the other hand your not walking around for hours. Just another option that you can consider.
On eBay, are 3m x 5m camo nets for $28 with postage.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bruce Terrill, David Budd, Peter Mitchell

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.