blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Moving between Competition Levels - Entry to Intermediate to Advanced. 7 years 11 months ago #528

• Kristina Bernard
  • Thank you received: 1
Yes Georgina, those Audubon images are very much the type of thing I mean.
I do love the sharpness and detail of a lot of the more technical images, but my preference for something I would want to hang on the wall or put in a book would tend to include more of the dramatic ones in terms of action, light, story and behaviour. Of course still as sharp and close as possible, but for action that is not always as close. Though as you mention, it seems like many of the top international competitions such as Audubon and also National Geographic etc often go for the more action oriented or interesting behavioural shot.
To be honest I have had second thoughts about entering some of the competitions recently or perhaps entering less is a better way of putting it, as it does seem like the aim is becoming ever more and more technical and very close up. So lately I have been finding that if I don't have real close ups in the category of the current comp, I have found myself wondering if it's worth entering some of the others I have that I like, even if I think they might be more interesting, fun or artistic.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moving between Competition Levels - Entry to Intermediate to Advanced. 7 years 10 months ago #593

• Georgina Steytler
  • Thank you received: 7
Hi Kristina,
To go back to an old thread, please do continue to post your kind of photos in competitions. There are many of us who are drawn to the artistic type images over technical perfection and it would be a tragedy of all we ended up getting were those kinds of images. In my opinion (sorry men), its a very 'male' way of viewing things (of which I myself am sometimes guilty). We females have to challenge the traditional notion of a good bird photo and we can only do this through persisting in posting photos from a different perspective. We'll bombard them! Fight! dont give in! viva la difference! ok, stepping off soap box now to get a coffee... :-)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Georgina Steytler.
  • Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.