blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Back button focus 6 years 10 months ago #1124

• Deanne Gaskill
  • Deanne Gaskill's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Good evening. I heard a lot about using manual focus at the Geelong Conference - & can understand why. However, until I started using back button focus with my Canon 6D (AV or TV) many shots were out of focus. Am I missing something?

Cheers, Deanne G

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Back button focus 6 years 10 months ago #1125

• Ian Wilson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 495
Hello Deanne,

I don't think I heard anything about manual focus at the Geelong conference . I heard talk about manual shooting mode settings, that is M mode, instead of Av and Tv priority. Back button focus is another issue but first may we have some clarification about whether you are referring to manual focus of the lens or manual shooting using M mode for camera exposure settings?

Kind regards,

Ian

Back button focus 6 years 10 months ago #1126

• Deanne Gaskill
  • Deanne Gaskill's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Apologies (& my face is somewhat red). I didn't think I could use back button focus with manual mode - all sorted - thanks Ian.

Back button focus 6 years 10 months ago #1127

• Ian Wilson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
No problem Deanne. I am pleased to learn that back-button focus is working for you; and yes, it works with M-mode shooting. With my style of shooting I use the shutter button in the normal way for AF and shutter actuation because I need my thumb on the back thumb-wheel to adjust the ISO in M-mode. I have used a custom setting to assign ISO adjustment to the back thumb-wheel so that while I am looking through the viewfinder for focus and exposure metering, I use my thumb to dial the ISO up and down to get the exposure meter reading I want for the shot.

Best wishes,

Ian
The following user(s) said Thank You: Deanne Gaskill

Back button focus 6 years 10 months ago #1129

• Peter Johnston
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 38
What custom settings people may employ, has got me a little curious.
With my Canon 5D Miii, I usually shoot in AV .
My index finger operates the shutter button and top main dial for AV..
My thumb, the AF-ON button for focus plus the back dial for ISO.
I wonder if that is common?, or if there is some variations on that approach?.

Back button focus 6 years 10 months ago #1130

• Ian Wilson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Good question Peter. To complete the picture with regard to my shooting style I should have mentioned that I use the main dial on the top plate to adjust the exposure time. I set the aperture at the beginning of the shoot using the Q-button, to suit the expected birding scenario, and I don't usually need to change it. The exception is when a bird pops up unexpectedly close and I need to quickly close down the aperture to get some more depth of field. When this scenario occurs I go to the shooting mode dial on the top plate and change to a custom shooting mode with the aperture set to f/11 and then adjust the exposure time and ISO with reference to the camera exposure meter.

That brings me to the custom shooting mode dial. Here I have stored the shooting parameters for three scenarios. The first is Cm1, manual exposure settings for the case just outlined needing more depth of field. I typically have this set to f/11, 1/800 sec, ISO 800. The second custom shooting mode is Cm2 that I use for general purpose perched bird shooting with f/5.6, 1/1000 sec, ISO 400. The third custom shooting mode Cm3 is for birds in flight and is typically f/6.3, 1/3200 sec, ISO 500. I also use the M shooting mode as a custom mode for flash work with typical exposure settings of f/6.3, 1/200 sec, ISO 250. So, in practice I have four custom shooting modes quickly accessible using the shooting mode dial on the camera top plate.

Cheers,

Ian
The following user(s) said Thank You: Desmond Hokin

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.