blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Back button focus 6 years 9 months ago #1141

• Bruce Terrill
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 47
Thanks Ian and Paul,
Paul, I have just finished reading Steve Perry's new EBook on the Nikon Auto Focus System and to be truthful by the end of it I was bored to death, his style of writing is so uninspiring although he has excellent advice and is a wealth of knowledge. I remember him talking about changing the buttons around and mentioning it briefly and said that it didn't have much to do with this book so finished off on it from memory. Trouble is, I wasn't thinking about these changes when I read that section. . .
Ian,
I just had a look at the d500 and under the main selection dial there is a secondary dial that you access by pushing a small button. This changes the shutter count from Single to Continuous Low, to CH, Timer function, Mirror Up and then there are two settings labelled Q1 and Q2, so I will have to look into those?
Enjoy your trip mate.
Bruce

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Back button focus 6 years 7 months ago #1305

• Rodney Appleby
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 50
Great reading all of this. It has been on my list of things to do to look at programming buttons for different things. It has just been bumped up the list significantly.

Back button focus 6 years 7 months ago #1333

• David Newell
  • Thank you received: 11
I have used Back-button focus on Canon cameras (5DMkIII and 5DMkIV) with the shutter button half-press set to Metering start. This allowed me to move the focal point for composition of the photo. However I have now reverted back to the default setting of the Shutter Button (metering and AF Start) as I have defined custom controls that allow me to quickly select the AF points and move them to obtain the composition I am after.
Multi-controller - set to Direct AF point selection (moves the AF points up/down/left/right)
AF area selection button - set to Direct AF area selection
AF-ON button - set to AF-OFF so that I can stop the A1 servo if required

This works well for me. I also have configured the custom shooting modes (C1-C3 and M) as described earlier in this thread by Ian Wilson.
I do not have experience with Nikon so can not comment on the Nikon functionality.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Desmond Hokin

Back button focus 6 years 7 months ago #1334

• Bruce Terrill
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 47
Hi David,
With my 2 Nikon bodies, D500 & D7200, with the camera in AutoFocus-Continual and back button focus, all I have to do is lift my thumb from the back button focus button and focus is frozen as in Single Focus and then I can recompose or start continuous focus again by putting my thumb back on the button. . .too easy. Oh, and yes, the half press of the shutter commences metering.
HTH,
Bruce

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.