blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
Discussions about cameras, lenses, accessories, and image-processing.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Camera harnesses 7 years 5 months ago #705

• Gary King
  • Gary King's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
My back starts objecting after carrying my camera (Canon 60D) with the long lens (Sigma 120-400mm lens) after a couple of hours. I am also carrying my binoculars (Nikon Monarch 10x42) and sometimes an additional camera (also 60D) for landscape photos. I believe it is the weight of my birding camera that is the main issue. I am considering purchasing a harness. Does anyone have any experience, advice, recommendations in regard to harnesses.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Gary King. Reason: Comments from Ian Wilson

Camera harnesses 7 years 5 months ago #712

• Ian Wilson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 495
If you would let us know what kind of gear you are carrying then maybe someone will give you a helpful reply. I was unable to figure out exactly what gear you are carrying from your EXIF data; in future, perhaps you could tell us in the 'equipment' field when you submit an image.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary King

Camera harnesses 7 years 5 months ago #714

• Ian Wilson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 495
Thanks for additional info Gary. My wife faced a similar issue carrying her Canon 7DII + 300 mm f/2.8 II + 1.4x III, Nikon Monarch 8 x 42 and day-pack. The solution we found was the SpiderHolster Spider Pro http://spiderholster.com/spider-pro This approach puts the weight of the camera down on the hips. It also helps prevent a tangle of straps around the shoulders/neck which can be a problem when carrying a second camera, binocular and day-pack. The Spider Pro has an option to carry a camera on each side of the hip which frees up the neck and shoulders for one's binocular and day-pack. Hope this helps. Ian.

Camera harnesses 7 years 5 months ago #716

• Rudi Poulose
  • Thank you received: 0
Heya Mate,

I picked up a FotoSpeed F7 Dual Camera Harness at a recent photo expo for similar reasons.

I carry a Canon 7D Mkii + 400 F5.6 on my left side and a Canon 7D + 24-105 F4 IS on my right side. I have also hung a Manfrotto BeFree Alumunium tripod off it at the same time too!

Overall I'm pretty happy with it.

Camera harnesses 7 years 5 months ago #721

• Les Peters
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 49
Brian O'Leary introduced me to the Black Rapid harness. It's a terrific harness to use for heavy lenses. Instead of setting it up to use with two cameras, you attach one side to the camera body and the other to the telephoto lens. It's extremely comfortable and I expect you could wear it all day and not notice the weight. However, it's brutally expensive and there are cheap Chinese knock-offs of it available on Ebay. I bought one of these for a mere $20, not expecting very much. However, while not being any where near as good as the Black Rapid, it did do the job quite well and I have carried my camera using it all day. It's not bad..

Camera harnesses 7 years 4 months ago #762

• David Seymour
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 65
Apologies for a somewhat late contribution to this topic, but the harness I use may be of use. For several years now I've been using a Cotton Carrier harness, most recently to carry a Canon 7D II with attached EF 100-400 zoom fitted with the EF 1.4x converter. This harness is designed along the lines of a chest harness baby carrier, and distributes the weight very evenly across shoulders, back and lower torso. The following link gives more details:

Cotton Carrier harness

Also, the following YouTube video shows the harness in operation:

Cotton Carrier harness YouTube

Hope this is of interest.

Last edit: by David Seymour. Reason: Getting the links to display
  • Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.