blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
Discussions about cameras, lenses, accessories, and image-processing.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Camera harnesses 6 years 9 months ago #1213

• Rodney Appleby
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 50
Is the fitting that it uses also compatible with tripods?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Camera harnesses 6 years 9 months ago #1232

• Gary King
  • Gary King's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
I use a Canon 60D with a Canon 100-400mm lens. The attachment to the Cotton Carrier harness attaches to the base of the camera body and is not directly compatible with my tripod. However when using the above lens I use the tripod attachment on the bottom of the lens as it gives better balance. I use a Sirui Tripod and tripod head.

Camera harnesses 6 years 8 months ago #1253

• Bruce Terrill
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 47
Hi Guys,
I spent all day yesterday wandering around Long Forest near BacchusMarsh in Victoria and after carrying a Nikon D500 with Nikkor 300mm F2.8 lens around on the supplied Nikkor lens strap, My neck and shoulders are wrecked today. I've woken with a serious headache and neck and shoulder pain and a newfound wanting of a serious remedy for the hand holding of lenses over an entire days outing? I really liked the way that the Nikon supplied strap for the big lens actually held the lens instead of the camera having to support the lenses weight from the rather flimsy lens mount, so I put a shoulder pad onto that strap and off I went. . .
As I said, I am now looking for a serious piece of kit that attaches to the lens instead of the camera and takes all the weight from the neck and shoulders?
I'm not sure that I would like the cotton harness with the camera right up under my chin and I must catch up with Ian to see if Jill is able to carry a big lens on her Spider rig>
Les, if your out there, could the Black Rapid be modified to allow the two straps to be mounted to the sides of a Nikkor lens?
Thanks guys, it's not until you try something and fail that you need to move onto the next idea, so input would be grateful. . .
Bruce

Camera harnesses 6 years 8 months ago #1261

• Les Peters
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 49
Hi Bruce,

The Nikon 300mm F2.8's anchor point is is used for one of the harness anchor points and the camera body the other. The weight is nicely distributed this way, so the camera doesn't pull to one side or the other, nor does it show any inclination to bounce around on your chest. You could attach it differently, but I don't think it would be as comfortable. Used as they suggest, the weight of the gear comes no where near your neck ,and is evenly distributed elsewhere.

However, it would be best to see if you can try one out before thinking about buying one. There are cheap knock off versions of the Black Rapid harnesses about. They are a tenth the price and half as good- which isn't that bad a buy, when you think about it. :-)
But they wouldn't be nearly as well made. Owing a "Rapid" is a life long thing. Built like tanks and quite indestructible, but best of all, very comfortable.

Good luck with it.
Les
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bruce Terrill

Last edit: by Les Peters.

Camera harnesses 6 years 8 months ago #1264

• Bruce Terrill
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 47
Thanks Les,
I'm seriously looking for a Black Rapid on the internet today as my headache today is worse than the one yesterday. The camera strap was really cutting into the nerves around the side of the neck all day Sunday, so I'm still paying for a foolish mistake, there really is no substitute for well thought out quality gear. . .
Thanks again,
Bruce

Camera harnesses 6 years 8 months ago #1304

• Rodney Appleby
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 50
Sara uses a BR strap with a Nikon D7200 and Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR Lens. We walk for hours sometimes and she has no issues. My daughter also has a female version of the strap. Just cut a little different to make it sit better for our female audience.
They use to make a fitting that was compatible with Manfrotto tripods. It was a little deeper so you could unhook your harness and then put the camera on a tripod. Having troubles finding one in Oz these days. Am going to look overseas.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bruce Terrill

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.