blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
Discussions about cameras, lenses, accessories, and image-processing.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Monopods; Carrying and quickly attaching between monopod and carry sling mounting. 6 years 8 months ago #1212

• Rodney Appleby
  • Rodney Appleby's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 50
I have bought myself a Manfrotto 250A monopod. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1111316-REG/manfrotto_mvm250a_aluminum_fluid_monopod_head.html
Light, sturdy and am loving the fold out feet and swivel base for the extra stability and support, especially in soft ground.
Currently, I am just screwing it into the "base" of my Sigma 120-300 f2.8. I imagine this is not good in the long term for the threads but in the short term if I am walking for a few kms it is a nuisance, especially if I am not stationary for a long time or the bird is high up in the canopy.
What I would like to know from others is how do you;
(a) carry their monopod/tripod if not attached to the camera. Do you use a sling, special bag etc.
(b) how do you attach it to the camera? Ideally, I am looking for a system where I can easily swap between the monopod and a carry harness
(c) what sort of sling do you use to carry big lenses

One of the main concerns is the ability to carry the weight safely, it is not a light setup.

Thanks,

Rodney

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Rodney Appleby. Reason: Spelling

Monopods; Carrying and quickly attaching between monopod and carry sling mounting. 6 years 8 months ago #1216

• Ian Wilson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 495
Hi Rodney,
I am a bit surprised that you feel the need for a monopod. Unless you have a physical disability that necessitates the use of a monopod, I recommend you learn to hand-hold your gear. You will get a lot more shots and more interesting shots if you can hand-hold your camera.

However, if a monopod is really necessary, I can recommend the following in part answer to your questions. First of all, you need a quick-release clamp and you definitely need a single-axis tilting head. Secondly, you need a tilting head (not a ball-head) that will safely take the load. The one we have is the KirkPhoto MPA-2 Monopod Head which is expensive but will handle up to 600 mm f/4 and is the best I have used. https://www.kirkphoto.com/tripod-monopod-heads/monopod-heads.html/?id=40

When walking with the monopod attached, we put the rig over the shoulder with the lens pointing down the back towards the ground. I often see people walking around with the lens pointing towards the sky, blissfully unaware of the damage that can be done if sunlight directly shines into the lens.

I am unable to advise on slings and similar as I have never found a solution that works better than carrying the camera over the shoulder using the strap that comes with the telephoto lens (Canon lenses). Third party shoulder straps are available that have a wide band to spread the load if you are carrying a 500 mm or 600 mm f/4. Whatever you do, make sure you can quickly get the camera to your eye and start shooting as fast as possible.

Cheers, Ian

Monopods; Carrying and quickly attaching between monopod and carry sling mounting. 6 years 8 months ago #1218

• Tony Ashton
  • Thank you received: 6
Agree totally with Ian. You'll miss out big time with monopod rather than shoulder carrying your 120-300. Solid tripod where necessary, yes. Monopod no. They just get in way and slow your reaction times. Cheers, Tony

Monopods; Carrying and quickly attaching between monopod and carry sling mounting. 6 years 8 months ago #1220

• Ian Wilson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 495
Hi Rodney,

I forgot to mention the Manfrotto 234 monopod tilting head. We also have one of these which only works well for light-weight camera gear. We fitted a KirkPhoto quick-release clamp to the Manfrotto 234 but there is also a cheaper quick-release gadget supplied by Manfrotto. The Model 234 tilting head is rated to 2.5 kg load which we found was not big and strong enough for a Canon 300 mm f/2.8 + 7D camera (I expect your rig will be similar load). For comparison, the KirkPhoto MPA-2 Monopod Head is rated to carry 35 kg.

I mention these details just in case you have a disability that requires the use of a monopod or tripod, otherwise I encourage you to hand-hold your gear.

Cheers, Ian

PS I have just noticed that your Manfrotto 250A is actually a video monopod with ball joint at the base enabling some freedom for pan and tilt. In this case, a tilting head like the ones mentioned above will probably be unnecessary. You will just need a quick-release gadget.

Last edit: by Ian Wilson.

Monopods; Carrying and quickly attaching between monopod and carry sling mounting. 6 years 8 months ago #1221

• Peter Gower
  • Thank you received: 12
Ian and Tony,

I have a different slant on using a monopod. Many photographers cannot handhold big lenses steady enough without some support.
Certainly if you are working from a car, where many good photos are taken, or sitting or even standing well supported by a fence or tree,
it is possible to be steady enough for short periods.
If you are walking for several hours, carrying a big lens, especially 600mm f4, there will be a limited number of people able to get worthwhile results.
I find in this situation a tripod to be a nuisance, just more weight to carry. I use a monopod with a Manfrotto quick release. The monopod is the twist
type, so that I can slide it inside my belt when not in use. Yes I do a lot of photos hand held with no support. I do not have any swivel or tilt on the monopod.
When wanting to point the camera upwards I do not use the monopod. I am mostly using a Canon 400mm f4 DO lens with 1.4x TC although more recently
have used a Nikon 200-500mm f5.6 on a D800 which is a bit heavier than the 400mm.
Over a number of years, several times I have done tests comparing results hand held to using a monopod. A considerably higher % of photos are sharper with the monopod.
As has been said before there are many methods that can work well for different people when photographing birds.

Monopods; Carrying and quickly attaching between monopod and carry sling mounting. 6 years 8 months ago #1222

• Tony Ashton
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi Peter,

Few would be shakier than me. And with one knee in the grave. But that's what image stabilisers are for. You are right: you'll have a higher % of sharp pix, but I might get a few more split-second shots away.

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.