blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
Discussions about cameras, lenses, accessories, and image-processing.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Monopods; Carrying and quickly attaching between monopod and carry sling mounting. 6 years 8 months ago #1303

• Rodney Appleby
  • Rodney Appleby's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 50
Hi everyone,
Many thanks for your comments and feedback.
I do mostly take shots handheld as I find the monopod cumbersome to carry attached and when trying to shoot into canopies.
But if I am waiting by the side of a lake or in darker bush I find the monopod invaluable. It not only takes the weight of the camera off me reducing fatigue and saving my back, I can have the camera set up in the general direction of the future prize winning bird :-) ready to go.
That's why I was after some that was quick release but then could hook onto a sling to help carry the camera but also reduce the risk of dropping the camera.
Yes, it is a video tripod. A couple of reasons. The ball swivel at the end gave a degree of quick motion flexibility, it was rated big enough to carry the equipment but is reasonably light, not as cumbersome as a tripod but one thing I really like is that it has feet at the bottom that open out to give me a large surface area. On soft ground it doesn't sink and gives me a firm footing. I also try and take a little video of unusual behaviours and so it is ideal for this as well.

Haven't seen Kirk before. Will have a look in more detail over the weekend.

Thanks again everyone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bruce Terrill

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Monopods; Carrying and quickly attaching between monopod and carry sling mounting. 6 years 8 months ago #1307

• Bruce Terrill
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 47
Hi Rodney,
I was on an outing the other week and ended up in a 'Conger Line' following a woman who had a Manfrotto monopod with the Butterfly fly wing style of feet extensions. She thought that they were great and added to her tally of keepers so well that she told everyone in the carpark about it. When we were actually walking through the bush, the bloody feet kept on falling off and even when I tried to screw them into place they still eventually fell off! By the end of the walk, the monopod was collapsed and stored in her trouser belt and the winged feet were in her back-pack and from what she was saying they were going to be returned to the salesman and placed firmly where the sun doesn't shine!! :whistle:
Your mileage might vary,
Bruce

Monopods; Carrying and quickly attaching between monopod and carry sling mounting. 6 years 8 months ago #1309

• Rodney Appleby
  • Rodney Appleby's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 50
Hope it lasts longer than that too. I have had it for ~8months with no issues and let's say none of my gear has an easy life. Having just had a look at again it will take some effort to pull that ball head (foot in this case), lots of hex bolts, as with the feet and their lock in mechanism. Having said that, they did include an Alan key and a warning about checking it regularly. Think I will add that to my regular job list now. Thanks for the heads up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bruce Terrill

Monopods; Carrying and quickly attaching between monopod and carry sling mounting. 6 years 8 months ago #1313

• Andrew Browne
  • Thank you received: 26
Personally with my 600mm lens, I prefer a tripod over a monopod: better stability. Also with a quick release, I can quickly free the camera for birds n flight images and the tripod says put.....a monopod needs to be supported. Sure it's extra weight but works for me.
Cheers AB

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.