blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
Discussions about cameras, lenses, accessories, and image-processing.

TOPIC:

Lightest Weight Camera & Lens Setup for quality bird photography 6 years 4 weeks ago #1608

• Andrew Browne
  • Andrew Browne's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 26
Thanks Byron and Glen
Yes Byron, I found I already had the firmware upgrade and the 5dIII does now work with the x1.4 extender and 400mm/f5.6 lens. It was probably 2 years ago when I was unsuccessful in trying the combination....obviously before the upgrade. The speed on the autofocus is quite reasonable too. Unfortunately at present my hands are not progressed enough to comfortably handle this combination, so more time and rehab are required. Yes i've heard lots of good reports about the 100-400mm II. A few years ago I tried the 100-400mm 1 but did not see much difference or advantage between it and the 400mm/f5.6 esp as most of the time I was shooting it at 400mm. The series II is obviously a great improvement on the series I.
Glen, I was of the view that once shutter speed was greater than 1/500th second that IS was of no extra value. Would be interested to hear opinions on this.
Cheers AB

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Lightest Weight Camera & Lens Setup for quality bird photography 6 years 4 weeks ago #1609

• Bryon Samuels
  • Thank you received: 13
Hi Andrew, If you look at your 600mm f4 you will see 3 different modes of image stabilization mode 3 is for birds in flight it stabilizes the image only when the shutter button is pressed to take the image. Normally you are trying to use the fastest speed you can get out of your camera to freeze the subject in flight. You are moving your camera and the bird is moving which equates to lots of movement when taking the picture in mode 3 it turns on the image stablizer the instant you take the picture, quite impressive. If you leave the stablizer on in mode 1 when trying to take BIf the stablizer fights you as you try to move the camera not good so image stabilization is still very important at very hi camera speeds over 500
hope this might clarify the importance of image stabilization
Cheers Bryon
Ps is your firmware 1.3.3 as the 400 f5.6 works on one I tried from my mate Tom
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew Browne

Last edit: by Bryon Samuels.

Lightest Weight Camera & Lens Setup for quality bird photography 6 years 4 weeks ago #1610

• Glenn Pure
  • Thank you received: 199

Andrew Browne wrote: Glen, I was of the view that once shutter speed was greater than 1/500th second that IS was of no extra value. Would be interested to hear opinions on this.

Andrew, I'm not sure on that... but I think you have the 400 f5.6 already (I had forgotten that detail). So give it a go when you are able to hold that rig and see what results you get. I find myself using slower shutter speeds much of the time (except BIF, of course). So even if that rule holds which I have doubts about, then you may find yourself limited to photography only in good light conditions or suffering the effects of high ISO needed in poorer light.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew Browne

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.