blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
Having trouble identifying a bird? Hopefully, someone here can help.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Goshawk or Sparrowhawk 7 years 10 months ago #551

• Peter Johnston
  • Peter Johnston's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 38
After seeing Glen Pure's image of a Collared Sparrowhawk I am second guessing my shot of a Brown Goshawk, I certainly struggled with the identification.
So if anyone or Glen could help I sure would appreciate it.
Cheers. Peter Johnston.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Goshawk or Sparrowhawk 7 years 10 months ago #552

• Glenn Pure
  • Thank you received: 204
In case you were expecting a comment from me, I'm not strong on bird ID and my limited experience suggests trying to distinguish between a brown goshawk and collared sparrowhawk can be one of the more difficult ID tasks. The recent images I posted of a collared sparrowhawk was the result of the input of quite a few people who were far more expert than me and, critically, a length measurement for the bird. I hope others are able to help you.

Goshawk or Sparrowhawk 7 years 10 months ago #553

• Peter Johnston
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thanks Glenn
I guess we are in the same boat. For our learned friends. I wonder if the collar or tail when perched can be diagnostic?.
Cheers Peter.

Goshawk or Sparrowhawk 7 years 10 months ago #555

• Peter Gower
  • Thank you received: 12
Peter, I think your bird is a Collared Sparrowhawk. The Sparrowhawk has a very long central toe. In your photo the toe appears below the branch, so looks long.
In flight the Goshawk has a rounded tail, the Sparrowhawk is more square.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anna Browne

Goshawk or Sparrowhawk 7 years 10 months ago #556

• Peter Johnston
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Wow! That's a great tip. I knew about the tail in flight but had nothing for a perched bird.
Thank you so much Peter

Goshawk or Sparrowhawk 7 years 10 months ago #558

• Rob Parker
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 113
I'm also no expert, but I've been looking at as many images of Brown Goshawks and Collared Sparrowhawks as I can find, and I'd go for this one being the latter. As Peter G pointed out, the extended middle toe is diagnostic for this species, and is clearly evident as it wraps around the branch. The bird also doesn't have the more "menacing" look, from the hooded eyebrow, of the Brown Goshawk.

I used images of both these species in a previous Bird ID Challenge in mid-2014; you can see those, with the comments regarding identification, in the Previous ID Challenges - Raptors gallery. To make it easy, here are links to the two birds:
Collared Sparrowhawk
Brown Goshawk

Hope this helps,

Rob
BirdLife Photography Website Administrator

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.