blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
Having trouble identifying a bird? Hopefully, someone here can help.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Which owl 7 years 10 months ago #579

• Peter Johnston
  • Peter Johnston's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 38
Hi
I took this shot at East Point Reserve in Darwin which I had tagged as a Southern Boobook but now looking at the lightness around the eyes and the grayish head, I'm thinking more a Barking Owl.
I don't encounter owls enough to have confidence in my judgement, could someone please confirm either way?.
Cheers. Peter.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Which owl 7 years 10 months ago #580

• John Stirling
  • Thank you received: 2
Yes, Barking Owl, Peter.

Nice shot!

Which owl 7 years 10 months ago #581

• Peter Johnston
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thanks John
I Uploaded it to the gallery last year as a Boobook.
How embarrassment!
Will rectify when I get home.
Cheers.

Which owl 7 years 10 months ago #582

• Rob Parker
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 113

Peter Johnston wrote: I Uploaded it to the gallery last year as a Boobook.

Really? I just checked - not wanting to be embarassed as a moderator - and couldn't find this in any of our galleries.

Very relieved!

Rob
BirdLife Photography Website Administrator

Which owl 7 years 10 months ago #583

• Peter Johnston
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Hi Rob
As soon as John confirmed it as a Barking Owl. I deleted the picture from the gallery (with my mobile) along with a couple of other images to be resubmitted. Oddly it had over 200 views?.
I have to be more vigilant and not make the great job that you are doing even more harder.
Sorry about that.
Peter.

Which owl 6 years 9 months ago #1206

• Bruce Terrill
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 47
Hi Guys,
Sorry that I'm sooo late on this one, I was just browsing through the i.d. section.
Peter, I think that you might have been a bit premature in taking the bird out of the Boobook section?
After handling both Boobooks and Barkers, from egg to adult, for nearly 4years now, I would really be thinking Boobook, although all the birds that I have handled are from local Victorian areas.
Just another opinion, sorry to throw a spanner in the works and I'm certainly not second guessing John, I'm just going with mu opinion. . .
Bruce

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.