blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
Having trouble identifying a bird? Hopefully, someone here can help.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Plant i.d., in photo 6 years 7 months ago #1344

• Bruce Terrill
  • Bruce Terrill's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 47
Hi Guys,
In 'The Gallery, under 'All Photos', Tim Van Leeuwin has posted three images of Honeyeaters sitting and feeding on a long green plant that also appears to be the flowering section of the plant, can someone please identify that plant species for me?
I haven't posted any of the pics or links to the pics because the images don't belong to me and I'm not sure if we are allowed to fiddle with other's images?
Thanks for taking the time Fellas,
Bruce

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Plant i.d., in photo 6 years 7 months ago #1345

• Glenn Pure
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 199
The plant is a grass tree or Xanthorrhoea sp. It might even be possible to work out the species based on location as sometimes only one species occurs in a particular area - but I'm not that expert. There's no problem posting a link to the photos - feel free to do so next time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bruce Terrill

Plant i.d., in photo 6 years 7 months ago #1346

• Bruce Terrill
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Thanks for your reply and info Glenn,
I'm now wondering as to whether these are available commercially for a native garden or are they only bush species?
I will have to have a closer look into them, from memory, I think that I've seen them in differing colors?
Thanks,
Bruce

Woah,
I didn't know they were Black Boys and sold at up to $750 each?
Yeah, I know them now, seen lots of them down in the Grampians. . .
Bruce

Last edit: by Bruce Terrill.

Plant i.d., in photo 6 years 7 months ago #1347

• Glenn Pure
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 199
Yes, they are expensive because to get a decent-sized plant that may flower, they have to be very old: many decades. I think all the big ones on sale for megabucks are wild harvested under licence. It's possible to buy small plants but you'll wait a lifetime for them to do anything spectacular like flower. All have white flowers as far as I know.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bruce Terrill

Plant i.d., in photo 6 years 7 months ago #1349

• Bruce Terrill
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Yeah, that taking 100years to grow to a decent height idea, kinda takes away the fun bit about setting a couple up in the backyard for photographic reasons. . . :oops:
Bruce

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.