blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
Having trouble identifying a bird? Hopefully, someone here can help.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Bird ID 6 years 3 months ago #1539

• Geoffrey Dennis
  • Geoffrey Dennis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 9
Hi
I would like confirmation that the attached images are Wandering Tattlers rather than the more common Grey-Tailed Tattler. Images were photographed at Scarborough (Redcliffe Peninsula SE Qld) last weekend. My reasoning for Wandering rather than Grey-tailed is as follows:

1. Noting that I have photographed Grey-tailed on the beaches just south of Scarborough at Sandgate, the birds appeared to have a darker shade of grey than the ones on the beach at Sandgate. Grey seems to be more extensive on breast.
2. White bar above eye matches description of Wandering rather than that of Grey-tailed as the white bare is much fainter behind eye and rounds off towards the beak.
3. Birds are actively feeding molluscs on the rocks just on the tide line rather than feeding on the beach.

Why I still have some doubt:
1. I have read that Wandering are mainly solitary and I was watching two birds feeding on the rocks nearby to a group of roosting Ruddy Turnstones and Lesser Sandplovers.
2. Wandering are uncommon and Grey-tailed are common on the beaches in this area.
3. I note that these are very difficult to distinguish in the field and I can't tell form the images by the length of the nasal cavity.

Your advice would be very welcome.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Bird ID 6 years 3 months ago #1540

• Peter Johnston
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 38
Hi Geoffrey
The field guide says, the Grey has white underneath, the Wandering has pattern. Looks, to me, the stomach is white, so I'll go with Grey-tailed.
Like you said, these are tricky ones, so I'm asking for a third opinion.
Thanks for asking the question, it's good fun learning.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Geoffrey Dennis

Bird ID 6 years 3 months ago #1541

• Geoffrey Dennis
  • Geoffrey Dennis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 9
Thanks Peter

Do you think the barring you mention just relates to breeding plumage or non-breeding? My guide (CSIRO) just says "obvious grey flanks" and it describes the Grey "medium grey above, restricted grey flanks".

Regards
Geoff

Bird ID 6 years 3 months ago #1542

• Peter Johnston
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 38
Hi Geoffrey
You caught me out! The guide on my phone only showed the top half of the non-breeding tattlers. Both non-breeding birds have white underpants, so now I'm leaning towards a Wandering Tattler.
My reasoning is, the grey is darker and no white line behind the eye, plus it's the 'vibe' (ha ha).
Come on all you experts, help me out here, I'm drowning!!!
Cheers Geoff.

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.