blp shabash 430x45

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the Index page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Post tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that your are viewing.
Here's where you can post your pictures if you would like some feedback .
  • Page:

TOPIC: New Critique Gallery

New Critique Gallery 1 year 5 days ago #1121

• Ian Wilson
  • Ian Wilson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 180
Thanks Andrew,
It is easy to forget that the back-story of how an image was captured and the reasons why particular camera settings were used is potentially just as interesting and instructive as what was done subsequently between RAW capture and final JPEG. Mea culpa and I will try to do better. In future, when I post images for critique, I will provide information on how the image was captured and why the camera was used in a particular way.
Cheers, Ian

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by Ian Wilson.

New Critique Gallery 11 months 3 weeks ago #1142

• Glenn Pure
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 71
Sorry for coming in late on this but I've been away...

Regarding Andrew Browne's comment, I would find it useful if you could post an example, either in reply here or as an image critique submission.

New Critique Gallery 11 months 3 weeks ago #1143

• David Seymour
  • Thank you received: 18
Some further thoughts on the discussion between Andrew Browne and Ian Wilson:

To me, if you aspire to become anywhere near good at modern avian digital photography you need pretty much a fifty-fifty mix between bird craft and camera craft on the one hand, and skills in post-processing on the other. Both are equally important in getting a top-class image in the final result. Over the last decade in my landscape work, and more recently in avian, I've become acutely aware that post-processing is a complex science and art in itself, and any progress you make in learning the skills will soon be evident in your finished images. In my time in BLP, I've seen dozens of images posted that would have benefited substantially from better post-processing (including my own earlier images, which is part of the reason I'm currently going through an exercise of reprocessing and replacing many of my previous BLP posts - and binning some of them).

I'm also completely in step with Ian and Andrew on the importance of getting more of the story of what was done in the field into the information accompanying each photograph, both in the Critique Gallery and in New Images. These days I always try and make good use of the Comment field in New Images to post this sort of information with the photograph. I think it is something all contributors to New Images should make more use of - that Comment field will take a lot of info if you're willing to put in the time to enter it!

Cheers, David

New Critique Gallery 11 months 2 weeks ago #1159

• Peter Johnston
  • Thank you received: 30
Hi
I've posted an image in the Critique Gallery that is both challenging to capture and process. A Rufous Owl at point blank range with long lens, in shade with back light. No crop, then followed by heavy down sizing. This one has something for everyone to comment about.
Cheers.

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.