blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
Post links to your video clips; discuss video techniques.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

rec.2020 and videography- and two Australasian Shovelers 6 years 8 months ago #1245

• Les Peters
  • Les Peters's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 49
This week there was a rec.2020 upgrade issued for two Sony video cameras, the FS5 and Z150. It’s a first.

I've spoken about this change before in a piece called “the way of the future”. You can find it in the video section of this forum. The change to rec.2002 allows the video capture of 11 stops of latitude and a very large colour range. The screen you’re looking at now will have no more than 7 stops of contrast from black to white and uses the Rec.709 standard. However, the latest panel T.V.s have had the ability to present almost 11 stops for a year or two now. This is done by either making the blacks very much darker than previously possible- which is Samsung’s OLED approach; or using very bright LEDs, the path taken by L.G.

Using either method creates a very high contrast life like image with much better colour than we’ve seen before. The difference is obvious, and now all the new sets sold in the U.K. are 4k and high contrast. If you take the time to look at one of these sets in your local shop, you’ll realise that the seven stop Rec.709 screens most of us have now will soon seem like the black and white sets of the sixties did after the introduction of color or high definition digital.

This Vimeo clip of two Australasian Shovelers was shot with a Z150 camera, using the rec.2020 profile. This camera isn’t top-notch and many DSLR 300mm lenses cost twice as much as it did. However, it’s very good value for money and often used by small news services as a “run and gun” camera. The clip has been remastered to look at its best on a Rec.709 screen. The original has full sunlight and strong shadow in the same shot and I’ve not tried to correct for this. I did try to pack the dynamic range in, much the same as still photographers drop their 14 stop images to 7 stops to suit their PC screens.

Two Shovelers

Please Log in to join the conversation.

rec.2020 and videography- and two Australasian Shovelers 6 years 8 months ago #1246

• Les Peters
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I forgot to mention, you'll need to hit the HD button below the image to see the clip clearly. It was uploaded at 720 to make it work on slower speed internet. The original was much larger.
Even with this drop down, you may need to wait a while for the load to complete. Let's hop one day we all get good broad band speeds.

rec.2020 and videography- and two Australasian Shovelers 6 years 8 months ago #1248

• Glenn Pure
  • Thank you received: 199
Nice clip. The effect early in the clip where the bird moves in and out of a patch of sunlight was interesting as it looked like a satin finish on the bird. I guess that's the result of compressing the tonal range down.
Cheers
Glenn

rec.2020 and videography- and two Australasian Shovelers 6 years 8 months ago #1262

• Les Peters
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thanks Glen.

I've reposted a remastering of the clip using sRGB instead of AdodeRGB. it should give you a better idea of how the clip would look in HD. Just image a lot better latitude.

Cheers,
Les

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.