blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
News about BirdLife Photography.

Poll:Should we have a "Creative Images" gallery?

Yes
62 91.2%
No
6 8.8%
Total number of voters: 68 ( Malcolm Cousland, Tom Tymons, Peter Johnston, Bronwyn Scanlon, Adam S Kraska ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll

TOPIC:

"Creative Images" Gallery - Suggestion and Poll 7 years 10 months ago #508

• Rob Parker
  • Rob Parker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 113
Recently we had a rather strange looking image submitted by member Tim van Leeuwin, who noted that he almost deleted it, but then decided he rather liked the "artistic" effect that he had - accidentally - achieved. It also crossed my mind that we had published another "creative" image in a newsletter last year: Georgina Steytler's winning entry in the 2014 Australian Bird Fair's Digital Creations competition.

At our last Committee meeting, we discussed the idea of setting up a separate gallery where "creative" images such as these could be submitted. We decided that, as a first step, we would get a feel for what our members think of this idea. Please use the Poll section above this message to record your preference - you can only vote once! This poll will close on 30th June. You can also post a reply to this message to provide additional comments.

The two images I mentioned are attached to this post, as examples of what might be accepted into such a gallery.
BirdLife Photography Website Administrator
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keith Hindley, Andrew Browne

Please Log in to join the conversation.

"Creative Images" Gallery - Suggestion and Poll 7 years 10 months ago #510

• Ian Wilson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 495
An excellent idea which I strongly support. I suspect we have quite a few members who are very creative and would relish the opportunity of turning their pictures into works of art. I have seen many stunning examples of this kind of work, not least from my brother who is a wildlife artist/illustrator and often creates digital fantasy works based on photographs.

"Creative Images" Gallery - Suggestion and Poll 7 years 10 months ago #512

• Alan Ryan
  • Thank you received: 0
I am new to the Birdlife Photography group. My own photographic efforts are aimed more at the "realistic" end of the photography spectrum, but I appreciate the talent of those who are creative, and I feel that should be encouraged.
And yes, sometime "creativity" is accidental. I have one shot I took probably 30 years ago on film, seagulls on an ocean beach heavily backlit, but a combination of excessive over-exposure of parts of the picture combined with lens aberrations created a quite surreal photo.
If the gallery goes ahead I'll find it and post it.

"Creative Images" Gallery - Suggestion and Poll 7 years 10 months ago #513

• Cecilia Prest
I think that's a great idea. I love digital photography precisely because it allows for creativity and I'd love to see that encouraged. I often feel I am"painting" with my camera and the possibilities are endless.
Cecilia Prest.

"Creative Images" Gallery - Suggestion and Poll 7 years 10 months ago #514

• Rodger Scott
I too am of the opinion that this is a great idea and hopefully we will see some wonderful interpretations of bird photographs.

"Creative Images" Gallery - Suggestion and Poll 7 years 10 months ago #515

• Matt Oliver
go for it

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.