blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
DPITB Geelong was held from 10th to 13th March 2017.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

What's there to say? 7 years 2 months ago #859

• Les Peters
  • Les Peters's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 49
Hi Folks,

I will be talking about video at the Birds in the Bush meeting and would appreciate some feedback about what people would like to have presented. Videos aren't often posted by our members, so I am assuming that people would like general introduction to the joys and pit falls of video recording and production, and what is likely to get them the best results using a DSLR or a moderately priced video camera. I have thought about this in general terms and come up with some possible headings, under the general title of "First Steps towards video". Here they are:

1. Some thoughts on people’s expectations of video clips compared to what they see in still shots - a moment in time vs. a story, with a brief example of each
2. Using video camera vs DSLRs to record clips- Most folk will be using a DSLR, but a brief price point comparison between the two
3. Using a DSLR for video
a. best camera settings
b. pulling focus
c. achieving good exposure – the trouble with histograms
d. camera settings and colour modes
e. the delicate problem what to do with 8 bits

4. Getting the biggest bang for buck
a. video head vs gimbals – there is such a thing as a good cheap video tripod?
b. a quick look at off camera recorders –and what they can give you
(the world of false colour, focus peaking and video compression)

5 Quick look at some gear
6. Recording techniques
Exposure and colour – grey cards and other useful tools
Avoiding jelly on a plate- refresh rates
A comparison of run and gun video techniques vs static

7. Preparing footage: what’s necessary and are there good free programs to get you there?
A quick look at colour grading and editing
8. A checklist for your first production
Some ideas for best practice
9. Getting your clips seen
Vimeo, You tube and face book.

That's a lot of stuff for what will be a short time slot. So perhaps people might like to indicate which of these they find most important and whether there's something that's completely slipped my mind...

Over to you. :-)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Les Peters.

What's there to say? 7 years 2 months ago #883

• Glenn Pure
  • Thank you received: 199
Hi Les

I'm looking forward to learning more. I've dabbled in video on my DSLR but done very little so a look at the basics would suit me...
Suitable camera settings/modes and exposure, white balance...
Focus strategies and pitfalls
Post processing: basics on what needs to be done and the options (software) to do it.
Some examples including common pitfalls and how to avoid them would be good.

Hope that helps.
Glenn

What's there to say? 7 years 2 months ago #884

• Les Peters
  • Les Peters's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 49
Thanks Glenn,

Nice to know someone is interested. I was beginning to wonder. :-)

Cheers,
les

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.