blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
How and where to take great bird pictures.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

WTP. . .Werribee Treatment Plant 7 years 4 months ago #797

• Bruce Terrill
  • Bruce Terrill's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 47
Hi Guys,
I'm hoping that with the amount of photographic members that we have floating around here that I might be able to engender some enthusiasm about The WTP ??
From the constant stream of beautiful images coming from this area, there are quite a few regular visitors to the 'Plant' and I'm sure that quite a few members have their own special little 'contact' patches where they can regularly see different species?
I'm currently in the process of joining up at the WTP and looking forward to getting a key so that I can join the 'regulars' who wander through this area. So with this in mind, I'm hoping that I can get those members that regularly enjoy this area to join in the 'chat' as to which areas they use and for what subjects? There are two reasons that I'm asking for this assistance, firstly because the area is so large that it could/would literally take years to put foot across the whole area to discover its secrets and the second reason is the upcoming DTIPB 2017 Program will be holding 1/2 and full day trips to the area and it would be far more successful to be able to 'target' specific areas for specific species instead of just driving aimlessly around roads/tracks without any idea as to what's in the area?
I know that some of this info has taken members years to accumulate and I sincerely respect that, but hopefully a few can 'release' just enough info to put us in the right place for some positive 'targeted' results??
Thanking you in advance for taking the time to respond guys. . .
Bruce

Please Log in to join the conversation.

WTP. . .Werribee Treatment Plant 7 years 4 months ago #798

• Bruce Terrill
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
UNBELIEVABLE !!! Absolutely, freaking, unbelievable!!! What does it take to get one of you guys to open your trap??

I am sooo NOT glad that I joined this Forum. . .

I know the background of a few of the members of the 'Exec' here and for their knowledge to be left untapped is criminal?

Looks like I will just have to shut my mouth and wait until DTIPB in March and get to know a few people then??

So sad. . .Bruce

WTP. . .Werribee Treatment Plant 7 years 4 months ago #799

• Kathy Zonnevylle
  • Thank you received: 9
Hi Bruce, don't be sad. It is spring and everyone is out taking photos instead of sitting in the forum. The WTP has so many great spots and they vary every time you go. Check out Kirks Point for waders (Turn Right just before the car park at the end of beach Rd and is open to the public), the bird hide area for Crakes and Rails and the Borrow pit. Otherwise there are heaps of Chats, Cisticolas, Pipits, Skylarks, Fairy wrens and many others that are flushed from the tracks where ever you drive. They will re-open the road along the beach from gate 4 soon. It really is a matter of exploring and different birds will appear in different ponds. Ask people you meet on the tracks what they have seen. Relax and enjoy yourself and remember there really aren't many birds at the WTP right now as they are having fun around the rest of Australia. They will come back as the water dries up. Enjoy and safe birding.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bruce Terrill

WTP. . .Werribee Treatment Plant 7 years 4 months ago #805

• Bruce Terrill
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Thank-you Kathy,
I really appreciate you dropping by and keeping me interested. I'm just grumpy at the moment because injury is keeping me out of the bush and away from the places that I love. . .
Maybe I will see you at WTP soon ??
Bruce. . .

WTP. . .Werribee Treatment Plant 7 years 4 months ago #811

• Super User
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4
Note that the Kirk Pt road is "soon" to become a footpath - mind you that has been the case for quite a while.
The road from Gate 4 to the Bird Hide is now open - the Bird Hide itself is permanently (?) shut as it is unsafe. The road from the mouth of Little River east along the coast is however now shut!
Another great spot for crakes etc when the water level is good (was a bit high a few days ago) is Pond 4 in the T-Section - enter at the T-section gate, ignore the first road off the the left but then take the second road on the left (which is the obvious one to go on) and it is the reedy pond on your right as you go along that road.
Ducks are starting to come back and I had 3 Hoary-headed Grebe the other day - the first for well over a month (and usually there are thousands!)

WTP. . .Werribee Treatment Plant 7 years 4 months ago #813

• Andrew Browne
  • Thank you received: 26
Thanks for your post Bruce.
I too am keen to find out more about WTP birding spots. I have had a key for two years now and only been there once so still have to sus out how to make the most of a visit there.
Look forward to hearing more updates, but have heard from a number of people that it's pretty quiet there at the moment.
Cheers AB

Last edit: by Andrew Browne. Reason: Spelling mistake
  • Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.