blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
How and where to take great bird pictures.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Paluma Qld 7 years 1 week ago #987

• Andrew Browne
  • Andrew Browne's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 26
Good morning
In the first week of May I plan to visit the Paluma region in transit to Cairns, Atherton Tablelands, Cape York and other places north.
I have never been to Paluma and looking for advice on where to camp (4 nights) and where are the best places to visit for bird photography.
I'm hoping someone can give me some advice.
Thanks in anticipation
Cheers AB

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Paluma Qld 7 years 1 week ago #991

• Warren Wilson
  • Thank you received: 6

Andrew Browne wrote: Good morning
In the first week of May I plan to visit the Paluma region in transit to Cairns, Atherton Tablelands, Cape York and other places north.
I have never been to Paluma and looking for advice on where to camp (4 nights) and where are the best places to visit for bird photography.
I'm hoping someone can give me some advice.
Thanks in anticipation

Andrew.

Contact Brian O'Leary. He escapes the southern winter every year in Paluma.... I suspect he would be delighted to advise you. Have a good trip and I look forward to seeing your images.

Warren
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew Browne

Paluma Qld 7 years 1 week ago #992

• Andrew Browne
Thanks Warren
Have sent Brian an email ? Cheers AB
Cheers AB
The following user(s) said Thank You: Warren Wilson

Paluma Qld 7 years 1 week ago #993

• Peter Johnston
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 38
Hi Andrew
If you are able to, could you post Brian's reply to your email?.
Cheers
Peter Johnston.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew Browne

Paluma Qld 7 years 1 week ago #998

• Andrew Browne
Thanks for your interest on this post although because of the poor user base by BLP members, minimal response.
I also posted this request on This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. I got three answers from them.
It appears the place to camp is at Lake Paluma: booking web address as follows https://www.townsville.qld.gov.au/facilities-and-recreation/parks-beaches-and-community-venues/parks-trails-and-camping/lake-paluma.
I contacted Brian O'Leary and he'll probably be in the area by then and has given me his mobile to contact him when he's there: so I'll follow that up then.
In the interim, I'll express my frustration (also expressed by other Forum members), that because so many BLP members are unwilling or unable to contribute to this Forum, despite the great efforts by Rob Parker and others, that this Forum is not fulfilling it's intended goal.
I don't know what the answer is, but I'll persist and publish my trip progress on the Forum as I move from locality to locality over the weeks from when I leave Melbourne late April until my return mid-July.
Cheers AB
Cheers AB
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob Parker, Ian Wilson

Paluma Qld 7 years 1 week ago #1003

• Jill Wilson
  • Thank you received: 27
We spent a couple of days at Paluma after the Ingham DPITB and enjoyed great birding and bird photography. We saw a number of lifers from the deck of our cottage in the centre of the village, and there were good short walks in and around the village and surrounding rainforest.

On the road up (or down) a stop at Little Crystal Creek Picnic Area was worthwhile.
The Golden Bowerbird and Toothbill Bowerbird were seen at Birthday Creek Falls.

There are good descriptions in Finding Australian Birds by Rohan Clarke and Tim Dolby p.110-111, though the cafe mentioned had closed down when we were there.

Remember there is no shop in Paluma so you need to stock up on supplies before you go. There is a pub offering counter meals.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Warren Wilson

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.