blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
How and where to take great bird pictures.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Browns Road. . .Monarto 6 years 6 months ago #1384

• Bruce Terrill
  • Bruce Terrill's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 47
Hey Guys,

Any of you South Australian (Croweaters) regulars care to help me out with some info on Browns road, Monarto.
I am linked into a South Australian Birding site on FaceBook (I know, don't get me started) and there is a continual stream of images of sensational bird species all coming from this Browns road?
I have also seen that Browns Road is linked to a place called Monarto Conservation/State Park, but it seems to me that all these images are taken along this Browns Road before you actually get to Monarto Park? Can someone help me out here please, because it looks like a place well worth a visit?
Thanks for taking the time fellas,
Bruce

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Browns Road. . .Monarto 6 years 6 months ago #1385

• Doug Castle
  • Thank you received: 34
Travelling from Melbourne leave freeway at Monarto Zoo exit. Travel towards the zoo and turn left onto Old Princes Highway heading towards Callington. Brownes road is on the right. There is a triangular wedge of scrubland. There is a research feeding station in there and if you find it sit quietly there you will see many diamond firetails and the painted button quail hang about for easy feed. Check hollows for owlet nightjar. Striated pardalote is also common.
Monarto conservation park is on the other side of freeway at same exit. Also Ferries Mcdonald CP a little further on same road. Enjoy SA birding.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bruce Terrill

Browns Road. . .Monarto 6 years 6 months ago #1386

• Bruce Terrill
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Thanks Doug,
It sounds like an absolutely wonderful place to sit and relax and let the birds come to you. . .??
Is the zoo worth a look?
Bruce.

Browns Road. . .Monarto 6 years 6 months ago #1388

• Doug Castle
  • Thank you received: 34
We have taken grand children and they enjoyed it. Not quite like going on safari in Serengeti but a lot cheaper.

Browns Road. . .Monarto 6 years 6 months ago #1390

• Bruce Terrill
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Thanks Doug,
I checked it out with Google and it seems that it is only six and a half hours from Ballarat, so that's doable with and early start, then have the afternoon at Browns Road, then overnight somewhere close that's cheap, then out to Browns Road again for the morning shift and then hit the highway again? Maybe stay two nights and not push the body too hard and get some extra birding in?
Bruce

Browns Road. . .Monarto 6 years 6 months ago #1391

• Les Peters
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 49
I would include Laratinga Wetlands in your journey, because it only another 20 minutes or so down the freeway towards Adelaide and there the birds walk towards you, and complain if you don't take their picture. You don't need to mess about to find it. It's only a short distance from the freeway. You'll be disappointed with the atmosphere, because there are plenty of dog walkers and folk on bikes, but this environment is why the birds don't give a dam about you. Crakes will walk between your legs, if you use the right "bird craft."

Browns Road is now a gazetted national park and is much larger than it used to be. It includes what's known as "Frans Fram", where good numbers of Rainbow Bee eaters nest in season. There's an old patch of bush in the centre of it, which is where the best action is, and there's a feeding station for Diamond Firetails, there as part of a recovery program. The park's very different from Monarto Conservation Park, where the soil is sandy and rather like you get in West OZ, with lots of heath like plants. Monarto is about 10 kilometres before the turn off to Browns Road coming from your side and just 5 minutes away from the freeway.. The two places have very different bird types. There's a loop track at Monarto which has some nice orchids, if you want to diversify your photographic interests. ;-)

P.S. It's all as flat as a pancake, so there's no pushing of your body unless you want to walk a big distance.

Last edit: by Les Peters.
  • Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.