blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
How and where to take great bird pictures.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Browns Road. . .Monarto 6 years 7 months ago #1392

• Bruce Terrill
  • Bruce Terrill's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 47
Wow, thanks Les,
Looks like I'd better stay in the area for a couple of days to get a good feel of the place?
I know that you live over the Border somewhere, would you have any ideas as to accommodation?
Bruce

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Browns Road. . .Monarto 6 years 7 months ago #1393

• Les Peters
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 49
You could try the Mount Barker Cvan Park. It gets a good review:

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g499718-d4301512-Reviews-The_Mount_Barker_Caravan_Tourist_Park-Mount_Barker_Adelaide_Hills_Greater_Adelaide_Sou.html

I don't have much cause to look for accommodation round here, so I can't be much help really. Sorry..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bruce Terrill

Browns Road. . .Monarto 6 years 7 months ago #1394

• Peter Gower
  • Thank you received: 12
Bruce, further to the info from Les, Monarto Conservation Park is a good place to see Shy Heathwrens, Tawny-crowned Honeyeaters and possibly Purple-Gaped honeyeaters, amongst other species.
If time doesn't allow all those places mentioned, go to Laratinga Wetlands at Mt Barker instead. About 40 species in a couple of hours is a realistic goal. About 160 species have been seen here of the 250 available on the Fleurieu Peninsula. As Les has already said it's a great place for Crakes. Lathams Snipe should be turning up anytime soon back from breeding in the Northern Hemisphere. If you see a camo sheet with legs sticking out from it, that will probably be Les.
The reason for pushing Laratinga, is the photographic opportunities.

Last edit: by Peter Gower.

Browns Road. . .Monarto 6 years 7 months ago #1395

• Bruce Terrill
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Thanks Les.
Hi Peter,
You've really piqued my interest now, Shy Heathwrens, wow! Wrens, finches and honeyeaters are my 'Go-To' species and I love trying to trick the camera into photographing these beautiful, small birds. Now I'm going to have to sit down and try to put together a 3-4 day stay without breaking the pension, but giving me a realistic chance at getting to see all these birds on the back of my camera. . .:unsure: , :woohoo: .
Bruce

Browns Road. . .Monarto 6 years 7 months ago #1396

• Peter Gower
  • Thank you received: 12
Bruce,
At Monarto CP the Shy Heathwrens can often be seen along the marked trail from the car park. Doesn't matter which way you go as it does a big loop starting and finishing at the car park.
I haven't been there for awhile but there should be blossom out now and so honeyeaters.

Browns Road. . .Monarto 6 years 7 months ago #1397

• Bruce Terrill
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Hi Peter,
Thanks for your help mate.Over here, Ballarat, we haven't seen a blossum yet, as a matter of fact I have Crimson Rosellas nesting in a home-made nest box in my back yard and I'm feeding them seed at the moment to keep them locally, everything else has gone looking for something to eat? The Council Cherry-blossoms that line the streets over here have just started blooming in the last two days, unbelievable season.
Thanks again for your input. . .
Bruce

Last edit: by Bruce Terrill.
  • Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.