blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
General discussion areas.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Thank you 6 years 1 month ago #1616

• Con Boekel
  • Con Boekel's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 10
Recently I was awarded the 2017 Advanced section Silver Medal (sharing this honour with Tim Van Leeuwen). It is something that I am very proud of and it caused me to reflect on my passion for bird photography.

I started when I was in my mid-sixties, so I came late to bird photography. While I was familiar with birds, the technical aspects of image capture and post processing were daunting challenges. I believe now is an opportune moment to thank some people who have been instrumental in helping me - not just a little bit, but a lot. The first is Glenn Pure, who has been generous to a fault in tutoring me and encouraging me. The second is someone I have never met - Ian Wilson. I read Ian's articles, and his detailed advice to others, in the Critiques Gallery with great attention. I am nearly always rewarded with an item of information or a nugget of advice that is worthy of consideration as I try to improve my images. Tim Van Leeuwen has also been an enthusiastic sharer of information and encouragement.
Finally I would like to say thank you to two people who do an enormous amount for BLP: Graham Cam and Rob Parker. As a technical facility, the BLP site is excellent. As a world leader in providing a comprehensive framework with excellent standards for ethical photography, the BLP site is unique.
regards
Con

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Thank you 6 years 1 month ago #1617

• Ian Wilson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 496
No need to thank me Con, it is a pleasure to share whatever knowledge and experience I might have that you find useful. Sharing knowledge and experience underpins learning and progress in many fields, especially photography where people with limited technical training can find themselves trying to understand unfamiliar concepts and complex equipment. To become a good photographer it is essential to have a basic understanding of photographic science and with my professional background I feel a responsibility to help where-ever I can.

I share your observation regarding the BLP website and would like to add the name of Dave Torr our brilliant web designer.

Thank you 6 years 1 month ago #1618

• Rob Parker
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 113
Congratulations, Con, for your Silver Medal in the Advanced Level And also to Tim. It would have taken a lot to have wrenched the Gold from Ian's grasp!

Thanks for you mention of my work on the website; Dave and I are very proud of it, and we aim to keep it at the forefront of ethical bird photography sites.

Rob
BirdLife Photography Website Administrator

Thank you 6 years 1 month ago #1619

• Glenn Pure
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 204
Many thanks Con - I'm happy to help where I can and glad you find it useful.

I also second your thanks to Ian Willson, Graham Cam and Rob Parker, who all - along with Dave Torr as noted by Rob - make a truly great contribution to BLP.

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.