blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
General discussion areas.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Information On Rare Bird Sightings 5 years 1 month ago #2079

• Rodney Appleby
  • Rodney Appleby's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 50
Hi Everyone, I have read a few newspaper articles/TV news recently on rare bird sightings that get he twitchers flocking (pardon the pun) in their droves to see the bird. But by the time I see these the event is over. Does anyone know of any sites that you can follow where these are reported?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Information On Rare Bird Sightings 5 years 1 month ago #2080

• Jill Wilson
  • Thank you received: 27
Hi Rodney
I get daily feeds from birding-aus and also from e-bird . Both of these are easy to set up for rare bird sightings and one can restrict reports to a particular state and by other parameters.

The more "with it" birders use several Facebook groups. I have been on pelagics where birders were posting to Facebook before we even got off the boat! I'm sure someone else can give you more info on these, but you need to be on Facebook (which I am not).

Jill
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ian Wilson, Rodney Appleby

Information On Rare Bird Sightings 5 years 1 month ago #2081

• Bruce Terrill
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 47
I think that Jill was referring to the Facebook page called Australian Twitchers and after the last episode regarding the Tufted Duck, I swore off that site forever.
Constant updates, every 5-10mins at times is a complete overload of the senses. Seems to be a couple of main culprits who continually go out of their way to gain publicity and notoriety.
If I hadn't made the decision to get down early and have a look, I certainly wouldn't have entertained the idea of attending the circus that ensued later on in the saga.
I'm now of the opinion that we have plenty of local birds available without me throwing good money at a stupid venture of travelling halfway across the continent to get some fairly 'casual' views of a bird that can only been seen let alone identified at 600 metres through a high powered spotting scope. . .
Other's opinions may vary. . .
Bruce
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rodney Appleby

Information On Rare Bird Sightings 5 years 1 month ago #2088

• Rodney Appleby
  • Rodney Appleby's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 50
Thanks for the responses. I don't see myself jumping on a plane and flying to the other side of Oz (yet) but if something were to show up in the normal radius I think it would be fun to go for the opportunity. Since I already use ebird a lot putting all my walks on it I will follow up the alerts on that in particular. Thanks.

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.