blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
Discussions about cameras, lenses, accessories, and image-processing.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Processing in layers 8 years 6 months ago #303

• Peter Johnston
  • Peter Johnston's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 38
Hi
Is there a processing program that divides an image into separate layers (eg. foreground. subject in focus, background, extreme background.)
for easy adjusting one area?.

Peter Johnston. Sydney.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Processing in layers 8 years 6 months ago #305

• Ian Wilson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 495
Hi Peter,

Welcome to BLP. I noticed your query a few days ago and expected you to have a reply from one of our image processing experts by now. As that seems not to have happened, I will tell you what I do, but you must keep in mind that there are a number of ways to make selections and what I do may not suit you.

First of all, I need to tell you that I use Canon DPP4 for RAW file adjustment and conversion and an antiquated version of PS Elements for selections, noise reduction, downsizing and output sharpening, and final conversion to a JPEG of suitable size for the BLP gallery. I export a 16-bit TIFF file to PSE and the first thing I do is select the bird. I make a rough selection with the Quick Selection Tool (A) and then finish off with the Lasso Tool (L) with the amount of 'feather' set to zero. I save this selection because it will be needed later. To select the background/foreground, one only needs to click on the 'inverse' button. For smaller selections I use the Lasso Tool (L) with some feather applied (say 5 pixels) so that the selection has a 'soft' edge that blends smoothly with the surroundings.

Notice that I have not used any 'layers' as my version of PSE does not support 16-bit layers. If I need to use layers, then I change to 8-bit TIFF processing. Usually, I find that I can do most of my processing without layers and I stay with 16-bit processing to the point where the image is converted to a JPEG for our gallery.

I hope this helps, regards,

Ian

Re: Processing in layers 8 years 6 months ago #306

• Peter Johnston
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Hi Ian
Thanks for the reply. It seems PSE gets mentioned quite a
bit and that maybe the choice for a second program. I
should have mentioned that I use Lightroom 5 but at a
novice level. I will try a bit harder with Lightroom and if that
seems too difficult PSE looks the way to go.
Ian, your reply did help by giving me some direction,
Cheers Peter.

Re: Processing in layers 8 years 6 months ago #309

• Ian Wilson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 495
Hi Peter,

Since you are a Canon camera user, I recommend you seriously consider DPP4 instead of LR for RAW adjustment and conversion. Experts who have compared the image quality of the 16-bit TIFF output from DPP4 conclude that the images are cleaner and sharper than from LR/ACR. This is not surprising as the Canon software engineers should know how to demosaic the RAW data from their cameras in the most effective manner. DPP also has a unique feature that enables the removal of blur associated with residual lens aberrations and diffraction. This is called the Digital Lens Optimizer, not to be confused with peripheral illumination and chromatic aberration correction which are also provided in DPP and some other third party software such as LR.

Arthur Morris and Arash Hazeghi have produced a DPP RAW Conversion Guide that can be purchased online - just Google to find the link.

Regards,

Ian

Re: Processing in layers 8 years 6 months ago #310

• Peter Johnston
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Hi Ian
That's exactly the information I was after. I noticed that other people additionally use PSE. Would it help to also to
get that too?.
Peter Johnston.

Re: Processing in layers 8 years 6 months ago #316

• Lindsay Cooke
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi Peter

Ian is correct when he suggests that DPP has a better outcome with its raw conversion on canon files than alternative software conversion processes. Adobe does however do a fair job of it. If you use LR5 as your workflow program it is probably better to stick with it and explore its potential before trying something else such as elements.

LR5 has layers capability and there are various ways to bring out the focus subject by blurring the background. There are many tuts on these processes such as at http://www.wildlife-photography-tips.com/lightroom-tutorials.html or http://laurashoe.com/2011/08/01/blurring-backgrounds-in-lightroom/ that will assist you.

So you may prefer to convert your raw files with DPP and then use LR to adjust foreground and background.

I prefer to use a mask layer and gaussian blur, or convert the image to smart filters and again use gaussian blur. The former is quick and dirty the latter can be a somewhat drawn out process, dependent on the result you are looking for. Here is a link

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/how-to/photoshop-blur-focus-subject.html

My first preference though is to go for the widest aperture available and let the lens do the work ;)

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.