blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
Discussions about cameras, lenses, accessories, and image-processing.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Retaining Exif data when converting image for website 7 years 8 months ago #629

• Chris Dubar
  • Chris Dubar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 9
The new rules for competitions require that the exif data is included in the image submitted. I have been using Photoshop Elements 14 to convert my images using the 'Save for Web' option and did not realise that this seems to remove the exif data ( I cannot see an option to retain it). I have had to resort to the 'Save As' option using a JPEG file type which seems to retain the exif data but results in a different file size compared to the 'Save for Web' - I am worried that this is not as good quality. Any comments from other users of Photoshop elements?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Retaining Exif data when converting image for website 7 years 8 months ago #630

• Glenn Pure
  • Thank you received: 204
Sorry if I've misunderstood your query, but simply resize your image to no more than 1400 pixels wide or 1050 high before 'save as' jpg. When you finally save, you will have the option to select a jpg quality setting. Choose the highest one that keeps the file at 1 MB or less (PSE provides a size estimate). In my older version of Photoshop Elements, the resize option is under the Image menu. It's usually necessary to perform a final sharpening step once the image is resized and before saving as a jpg otherwise the image will soften. I've written some basic workflows that incorporate these steps. You'll find them in the April 2016 newsletter.

Cheers
Glenn

Retaining Exif data when converting image for website 7 years 8 months ago #631

• Glenn Pure
Oh, I forgot to comment on impact on quality of image... I'd be very surprised if the quality is worse from the approach I've suggested as long as you do sharpen again after downsizing (I suspect 'Save for Web' may automatically apply some sharpening but don't know for sure) - and, of course, select the best quality jpg compression to keep the fine below the BLP maximum. I've certainly had no quality problems using the resize-sharpen-save as approach.

Glenn

Retaining Exif data when converting image for website 7 years 8 months ago #632

• Chris Dubar
  • Chris Dubar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 9
Thanks Glenn,

My query was actually about how you keep the exif data in the jpg file - I have been using the 'save for web' option in Photoshop Elements, which is maybe not in your older version, however the exif data seems to get removed when using this option. No problem with resizing and sharpening etc.
I am now using the 'save as' option as you describe which does keep the exif data. My query was really is there any difference between using the 'save for web' option compared to the 'save as' option because the file size is different when using maximum quality in each method (less for 'save as')

Chris

Retaining Exif data when converting image for website 7 years 8 months ago #633

• Glenn Pure
I do have 'save for web' in my older version but I've never used it. I'm puzzled that it would generate a larger jpg size than 'Save as' though. The only thing I can think of is that 'save for web' has less compression at the high quality end, as you intimate. Either way, I've not seen any noticeable compression artefacts using 'Save as' and I'm usually able to save at maximum quality (minimum compression) with this save option.

Glenn

Retaining Exif data when converting image for website 7 years 8 months ago #635

• Geoff Gates
  • Thank you received: 1
Chris, go to Preferences under Save Files (or something similar), in File Compatibility there will be a check box that you need to tick on or off to ensure that the exif data is kept when using Save For Web.
(I use full photoshop so I can't tell you the exact name of the check box but it should be self explanatory).

As for the difference in file sizes;
1. Without exif data the file will be slightly smaller (by a very small amount)
2. It depends on a lot of factors with the way you use the quality/amount settings between 'Save for Web' & 'Save As'

EDIT: Don't be too concerned with file size. With the minimal number of images I've bothered posting to the galleries they are all under 500 Kb.

Geoff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Dubar

Last edit: by Geoff Gates. Reason: added text.
  • Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.