blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
Discussions about cameras, lenses, accessories, and image-processing.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Zone system from aesthetic perspective 6 years 10 months ago #1102

• Desmond Hokin
  • Desmond Hokin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 11
Hi All,
Many years ago I read a great book that discussed how a good image can become a great image by adjusting the exposure of the image up or down so that the focal areas in the image fitted within one of the 'ideal' zones. The Zone System Wikipedia article is unfortunately very dry, and doesn't provide much practical use info.

The book I read showed 1 particular image that was exposed at 'normal' brightness , and drew lines on the image that divided the subject of interest, the foreground, mid and background sections , and then overlayed the zone-system number of the brightness that section of the image had. To be fair, it was a rather plain and ordinary photo.

They then showed the same image that had been underexposed in Post, and it was completely different. It had this mysterious and intriguing quality to it. Dropping the exposure eliminated most of the distracting parts of the image, and placed the focus right on the subject.

What I'm after is a book or website that discusses and explains this technique, and hopefully also provides practical guidance on how to objectively measure and test the zone brightness of various sections in an image.

Anyone explored this or anything similar?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Zone system from aesthetic perspective 6 years 10 months ago #1105

• Ian Wilson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 495
Hi Des,
Graham Cam gave an interesting talk on this subject at the Geelong DPITB. He showed how to use a proprietary software package to isolate the zones and make adjustments. Unfortunately, I don't recall the name of the software but I am sure Graham will let you know the details. This technique has been used to good effect in landscape photography and in principle could be applied to bird images. Many bird photographers make luminance adjustments to selected areas of the bird or its surrounds using simple manual selections, for example, brightening up a bird's face that might be partially shaded or darkening a background to make a light coloured bird 'pop'. Sorry I am unable to be more forthcoming.
Cheers, Ian
The following user(s) said Thank You: Desmond Hokin

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.