blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
Discussions about cameras, lenses, accessories, and image-processing.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Neat Image Software 6 years 8 months ago #1236

• Bruce Terrill
  • Bruce Terrill's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 47
Hi Guys,
I'm looking into getting hold of Neat Image software for my Puter and I was wondering whether it is 'better' to get the Photoshop version or the Standalone version?
I know that 'better' is subjective and I'm asking for opinions on the two different versions?
While I'm asking the questions, I might as well also ask as to differing opinions of Neat Image verses Topaz DeNoise as far as usability and results are concerned?
Probably no correct answer, but I certainly appreciate everyone's opinion . . .
Thanks for taking the time,
Bruce
Sorry Guys, I forgot to mention that my normal operating software is Lightroom subscription and I also have Photoshop subscription loaded onto the computer if this changes anyone's opinion. . .
Bruce

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Bruce Terrill. Reason: Additional information

Neat Image Software 6 years 8 months ago #1237

• Glenn Pure
  • Thank you received: 199
I wrote an article on these software packages in the December 2016 issue - you can access this under the 'Resources' items on the website. I prefer Neat Image because of the ability to set up camera noise profiles and the 'auto-profiling' feature as well which customises the noise settings for specific images or camera and ISO combinations. However, Topaz is much simpler to use and arguably does just as good a job.

As for plug-in versus standalone, I don't have the Photoshop Elements plug-in version. I suspect the standalone version will suffer one major disadvantage - it can't be used only on selected parts of the image (at least not easily). Using the photoshop or PSE plug-in enables you to apply noise reduction to the current selection only, and use all the powerful selection tools in Photoshop to initially make those selections. However, as I don't have the standalone version as I said, I can't be completely certain on this point. I routinely apply NR to only selected parts of the image and I wouldn't be happy if I couldn't.

Don't forget, you don't have to commit any money to find out for yourself because both Neat Image and Topaz are available on a free trial basis for a month, although Neat Image is limited to a maximum image area during the trial period. (You'll still be able to get a good idea of whether you like it or not). The trial version of Topaz is fully functional (or at least was when I checked it out last year).

Neat Image Software 6 years 8 months ago #1238

• Glenn Pure
  • Thank you received: 199
Oh, and I forgot to mention that the Google Nik suite has a completely free NR tool of similar sophistication to Topaz and Neat Image. This took is called Dfine.

Glenn

Neat Image Software 6 years 8 months ago #1239

• Bruce Terrill
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Thanks Glenn,
You're a ripper. . .
Geez there's a lot of very talented and helpful people on this forum. I would like to thank them all for all their help over the time that i have been here.
It really is tremendous to be able to call on these great minds to help shorten the learning curve. Thanks guys. . . :cheer:
Bruce

Neat Image Software 6 years 8 months ago #1240

• Bruce Terrill
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Hi Glenn,
This might be of some info for you mate:

http://www.neatimage.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2417

HTH,
Bruce

Neat Image Software 4 years 3 weeks ago #2325

• Kathy Zonnevylle
  • Thank you received: 9
Well it's only taken me 3 and a bit years to read your article but now I finally have a new computer with new DPP and new PSE and Neat Image, I can't wait to get started.........now to dust off the camera and find me some birds :)
Your article is so clear and understandable (even for me). Much appreciated.
Kath
The following user(s) said Thank You: Glenn Pure

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.