blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
Discussions about cameras, lenses, accessories, and image-processing.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Lighting and Colour Adjustment 101 part 2 6 years 8 months ago #1263

• Ian Wilson
  • Ian Wilson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 495
Yesterday I showed a simple way to check for saturated colour channels in a RAW file. Today I show a similar method for checking for saturation at any stage of finishing the image in Photoshop. What I am about to show is not the only way to do this but it is simple and intuitively obvious. Tomorrow I will show a more sophisticated method.

After RAW adjustment and conversion we end up with a 16-bit TIFF file which is imported into Photoshop for finishing and downsizing for web display. During the finishing process we might decide to fine-tune the lighting and colour adjustment over the entire image or in a selected area of the image. This may cause one or more of the colour channels to saturate. To keep an eye on what the RGB numbers are doing, we can use the Photoshop Color Picker shown in the attached illustration. It works just like in DPP4 where we ran the cursor over the image and watched the RGB numbers change in value depending upon the underlying pixel values. The only difference is that in Photoshop we need to click the eye-dropper on the Color Picker foreground swatch and then move the eye-dropper over the image while holding down the left click of the mouse. In the Color Picker window we will see the RGB values change as we move over the image. In the example shown I am checking the RGB values on the bird's breast after some minor adjustment and downsize to 1400 pixels wide. With this simple method one can check RGB values at any stage from the hi-res 16-bit TIFF imported into Photoshop to the finished JPEG ready for posting to our galleries.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Glenn Pure, Desmond Hokin, Mark Davidson, Bruce Terrill

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Lighting and Colour Adjustment 101 part 2 6 years 8 months ago #1268

• Glenn Pure
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 199
Ian, thank you for this series on lighting adjustments. I also had a two part series in the newsletter earlier this year which used DPP as an example.

As for checking the RGB values in Photoshop/Photoshop Elements, I found a simpler way of doing this earlier today: I have an old version of Photoshop Elements (v9) and assume it will be similar in Photoshop and new versions of PSE:
Under the 'Window' menu, there is a list of tool windows that can be opened. One is called 'Info'. This brings up a little box which displays the RGB values as you move the cursor over the image. I think this works regardless of which tool is currently selected (but I haven't confirmed by testing all tools).

Lighting and Colour Adjustment 101 part 2 6 years 2 months ago #1554

• Mark Davidson
  • Thank you received: 5
Glenn, I found that your quick method worked well in Photoshop CC 2018. Thanks.

Lighting and Colour Adjustment 101 part 2 6 years 2 months ago #1555

• Mark Davidson
  • Thank you received: 5
Hi Ian, I couldn't find how to access the Photoshop Color Picker in Photoshop CC 2018. The tool panels and available options are very daunting, but I'm pushing on.

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.