blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
General discussion areas.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Free post- processor 6 years 7 months ago #1280

• Anna Browne
  • Anna Browne's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi everyone,

as I've been getting more into my bird photography I realized post- processing is quite an important way of improving my images.
Anyway, I was wondering if there might be a free photo editor that would be suffice. At the moment I just use GIMP to resize my photos but I've heard it's not very good for post-processing.

cheers
Anna

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Free post- processor 6 years 5 months ago #1431

• Desmond Hokin
  • Thank you received: 11
just saw this post Simone,
I'm not sure how many people on here are using GIMP. but I wouldn't let that phase you. From what I've heard GIMP can do a huge amount of stuff, rivalling what photoshop and other professional apps can do. If it works well for you stick with it :)

If you're a canon user, you can download DPP off Canon's website. And once you've done the initial basic edits, you should be able to export it into a format gimp will handle (possibly TIFF but there may be better formats too). If you're in the nikon camp, they should have something very similar available too.

Free post- processor 6 years 5 months ago #1438

• Glenn Pure
  • Thank you received: 199
Apologies for missing this one. GIMP is very powerful and, as Desmond says, will do much of what full Photoshop will do. It is probably the best option if you don't want to pay anything. If you don't mind paying a modest amount, Photoshop Elements can be purchased outright for about $130 or $140 (less if you buy a used copy on ebay or similar - but ensure the licence has been deactivated by the seller). It is very easy to use and will do practically everything you might need. It's what I and quite a few other BLP members use and there is tons of online support and training videos for it.

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.