blp shabash 430x45

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Questions or discussions about equipment from any other manufacturer.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Olympus introduces new sports/action camera and long zoom to match

Olympus introduces new sports/action camera and long zoom to match 1 month 3 weeks ago #2033

• David Seymour
  • Thank you received: 35
Thanks Ian, for your detailed discussion of the optical science that lies behind these lens and sensor comparisons. I knew I could rely on you to explain it a lot better than I can. Your note about sensors with large pixels struck a familiar note, as of the digital cameras I've owned the one that seemed to have the least issues with digital noise was my first one, a Canon EOS 20D with only 8 megapixels on an APS-C sized sensor.

I obviously have a bit of a soft spot for Olympus and their design philosopy, a result of my very long history with the OM 35mm system. As I mentioned earlier, I probably would have stayed with them had they introduced a full-frame digital system by the time I finally migrated to digital in 2005. Instead I faced changing brands, and chose Canon EOS for the IS lenses which I had uses for, but at the expense of increasing the weight and bulk of camera gear in my bushwalking pack when optimally I would have liked to have seen it reduced.

The history of Olympus in the heyday of the OM 35mm system and the earlier Pen F days is an interesting one, revolving largely around the story of their brilliant and highly innovative chief designer Yoshihisa Maitani, a man who took no cues from what everyone else was doing except perhaps what to avoid. He continues to be acknowledged by the letter 'M' in the OM-D camera system designation. An interesting potted history of Maitani in Olympus is on the following link:

The man who made Olympus

Cheers,
David

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by David Seymour.

Olympus introduces new sports/action camera and long zoom to match 1 month 3 weeks ago #2036

• David Seymour
Thanks Mark, for telling us about your experience with your OM-D gear, and for the nice Splendid Fairy-wren image. It's always good to hear first-hand impressions from actual users of the equipment.

In regard to other Olympus users, I've noticed from a quick search of the Birdlife Photography galleries that there are a number of other users of OM-D gear on this site. Try the following search from the Photo Gallery tab on the home page:

Photo Gallery -> All Photos -> Show Search Options -> Find in EXIF -> (type in Olympus at this point) -> Search

Alternatively, click the following link which is the result of the above search:

BLP Olympus image search

This yielded 156 photos from a number of different photographers, most using OM-D gear with a variety of lenses including Leica lenses in some cases. It could be interesting to have a browse, and if you had some specific questions you might try using the Contact Photographer button which is usually visible once you open an individual photo to view.

Cheers, David

Olympus introduces new sports/action camera and long zoom to match 1 month 3 weeks ago #2038

• Rob Parker
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 65
Hi David,
Good to see that someone is making good use of our comprehensive image search facility!
Rob
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Seymour

Olympus introduces new sports/action camera and long zoom to match 1 month 3 weeks ago #2040

• David Seymour
Thanks Rob - I find myself making quite regular use of the image search facility. For instance, before submitting an image of a species that is already well represented in the database, I'll usually do a search for that species to browse through what's already there, and to try and get an idea how the new image I'm thinking of submitting stacks up. The EXIF data can be useful for more complex searches, bearing in mind that not all images in the database can be guaranteed to include all the EXIF info - but I suspect that the majority do.

Cheers, David

Olympus introduces new sports/action camera and long zoom to match 1 month 3 weeks ago #2043

• Simon Pelling
  • Thank you received: 36
There is further discussion on Olympus’ future on the DP Review site, published overnight (30/31 Jan). Quite an interesting read.

Simon
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Seymour, Ian Wilson

Olympus introduces new sports/action camera and long zoom to match 1 month 3 weeks ago #2044

• David Seymour
Thanks Simon, and here's the actual link (I assume it's the right one) if anyone hasn't located it:

Olympus interview re. E-M1X

I think the second paragraph in response to the first question of the interview (e.g. "You can shoot at longer focal lengths and still handhold") needs to be compared with Ian Wilson's detailed explanation on Page 2 of this thread - though, allowing for the fact that this is an Olympus exec in sales and marketing, not engineering. The interview does wreck my theory that any of the current OM-D lenses are built with an image circle larger than MFT sensor coverage - which does still beg the unanswered question about what design features lead the m.zuiko 300 mm f/4 Pro to be heavier and more expensive than some of the full-frame 300 mm f/4 lenses.

It will be interesting to see how Olympus go with the E-M1X. Given market perceptions in the professional ILC sector I think they are taking quite a risk. I was particularly surprised to read that in their target market they include current APS-C DSLR users, e.g. Canon 7D series users, who are 'stepping up' (usually to full-frame). Given that such Canon users have a soon-to-be expanding EOS-R series full-frame mirrorless system to potentially step into (and similarly with Nikon), this could be quite a challenge.

Cheers, David

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.