blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

The One Year Restriction on Competition Entries 8 years 2 weeks ago #487

• Gary King
  • Gary King's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
I have a number of cockatoo photos which I would consider submitting into the current competition but none were taken in the last year. My best cockatoo photo is a Palm Cockatoo taken two and a half years ago. Living in Tasmania I will not be visiting Cape York very often (as much as I would like to). I think there needs to be a greater flexibility as regards eligible entries by either extending the timeframe to say 5 years or restricting photos to those that have not be submitted to previous competitions.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

The One Year Restriction on Competition Entries 8 years 2 weeks ago #488

• Andrew Browne
  • Thank you received: 26
I like the current one year restriction as it keeps members active looking for new opportunities for obtaining images, and also gives other members a feel for what birds are currently in different locations within Australia, rather than what was there 3 or 5 years ago. There are some upcoming competitions that I know that I have no suitable images i.e. "Big is Beautiful" as i'm mainly interested in small birds...but with the advance notice of upcoming competitions that Georgina has instigated I now keep an eye open for likely candidates even though I have only a token sample in my portfolio and they are not my prime interest.
Cheers AB
The following user(s) said Thank You: Georgina Steytler

The One Year Restriction on Competition Entries 8 years 5 days ago #494

• Georgina Steytler
  • Thank you received: 7
Oops - Sorry Gary but I have been remiss about checking the Forum post. I will raise this with the committee and see what they think as it was a restriction in place before I took over the role. My understanding is that the main reason for the 1 year restriction is to keep the images 'fresh'. Having said that, I could see no problem extending it to 2 years, but beyond that we start to get into a fuzzy area where any cut-off is arbitrary. I would be interested to see what other members (cheers Andrew for comments below) think about this.

Palm cockatoos aside, there must be some pother cockies down your way? There are very few entries from Tasmania which is a shame as there are no doubt differences, albeit slight, between island and mainland sub-species and additions from different states are always valuable for ID purposes.

Cheers
Georgina

The One Year Restriction on Competition Entries 8 years 2 days ago #496

• Manfred Hennig
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello i tent to agree that one year is ok,however some comps. ago we where permitted one entry past that date and i think we should go back to that.
cheers Manfred Hennig

The One Year Restriction on Competition Entries 7 years 11 months ago #501

• Kristina Bernard
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi
I also think that either extending it to 2 years or allowing at least one photo taken longer then one year ago, would be helpful. Sometimes we have photos from a trip that would be perfect and we won't get back soon, so being able to submit them would help.
Personally I get too busy at times and can't get out as much as I would like, so when it gets a bit too hard I probably just wouldn't be able to put as much in.
I was VERY lucky as we went on a big 7 wk trip up north last Aug / Sept. So I have had some bird photos within the one year that I like and felt I could use. :)
Cheers

The One Year Restriction on Competition Entries 7 years 11 months ago #524

• Georgina Steytler
  • Thank you received: 7
Thanks Kristina. I think we are close to making it a two-year limit instead of one - stay tuned!

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.