blp shabash 430x45
Inspiring and Supporting Photographers of Australian Birds

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
When posting a new topic, please ensure that you select the correct category for your post in the top drop-down box of the edit window. The default entry is the first category shown on the All Categories page; this is unlikely to be the category that you want. The Category drop-down box will be present if you click the New Topic tab in the Forum menu; if you are viewing a particular category of the Forum and you use the New Topic button in the Category Header section, the drop-down box will not be present, and your new post topic will automatically appear in the category that you are viewing.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Best Photograph of the Year? 5 years 3 weeks ago #2082

• Wilson Lennard
  • Wilson Lennard's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 10
Hello, Currently the front page of the BLP website states the two winners of this years "Best Photograph of the Year"; being "Best Photograph of the Year - Interchangeable Lens Camera" and "Best Photograph of the Year - Fixed Lens Camera". I am wondering who judges this competition? I note this quotation from BLP Admin: " the "Best of NNNN" competition is judged in the same manner as all our competitions - by member voting". Voting for the Best of 2018 competition is currently underway until March 25th, 2019 and is open for member voting, like the other regular competitions. I also see that the Top 5 for this years "Best Photograph of the Year - Interchangeable Lens Camera" are not all represented within the Best Photograph of 2018 pools from the 3 categories (Advanced, Intermediate and Entry). So, I am just wondering what is the pool of images used for these two annual awards? (each and every photo submitted to BLP in 2018?) and who judges them? I am not aware of when advertising for members to vote in these two categories occurs and apologise for missing that. Where does one, as a member, vote for these two categories?

Thanks and regards,

Wilson

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Wilson Lennard.

Best Photograph of the Year? 5 years 3 weeks ago #2083

• Rob Parker
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 113
The "Photo of the Year" is one of several annual awards. The BLP Awards page describes these awards, and how they are decided. They are awarded by the committee, who select from a short-list of images chosen by the competition coordinators and moderators; they do not have to have been winners, or even entries, in any of our photo competitions. There is no member voting involved. The initial pool of images for these awards is every image that has been submitted during the year. For the fixed lens camera award, we do consider every image, as there are less than 200 such images; for the interchangeable lens camera award, where there are (for 2018) almost 4000 possible images, we use an initial list containing all images which have received votes in any of the competitions throughout the year, have been selected by a Mystery Reviewer, or have been selected for the "Recent Picks" section by a moderator.

The "Best of nnnn" competition, with the normal three levels, is a regular competition, with no special theme - in contrast to the other competitions throughout the year - but with the restriction that the image must have been taken during the year nnnn. As it's a normal competition - albeit with a name similar to that of our Photo of the Year award - it is open to member voting.

Hope this helps,

Rob
BirdLife Photography Website Administrator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ian Wilson, Wilson Lennard

Best Photograph of the Year? 5 years 3 weeks ago #2084

• Ian Wilson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 495
Hi Rob,

My understanding of what you have written is that for the 'Photo of the Year' ILC category, a list of candidate images is produced which includes winners, highly commended and commended images from the member voting and mystery reviewer selections plus images selected during the year by moderators for the 'recent picks' side gallery. The BLP committee then selects the Photo of the Year winner, presumably by some sort of a vote. I guess that images by members of the committee are not eligable for consideration.

Cheers, Ian
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wilson Lennard

Best Photograph of the Year? 5 years 3 weeks ago #2085

• Rob Parker
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 113
That's right. I forgot to mention that committee members are not eligible for the Photo of the Year award. In fact, the only award that committee members are eligible for is the Competition Photographer - since those awards are decided by votes from members and Mystery Reviewers.

Rob
BirdLife Photography Website Administrator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wilson Lennard

Best Photograph of the Year? 5 years 3 weeks ago #2086

• Wilson Lennard
  • Wilson Lennard's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 10
Thanks Rob. That explains everything for me. Sorry, I looked for info on this, but you providing the link you have to the BLP Awards has assisted greatly.

Thanks again,

Wilson

• Page:

CONTACT US

The easiest way to contact us is by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Our People page, in the About Us section, contains email links to each of the committee members.